Symbol/Motorola MAC address ranges

// Expert user has replied.
M Marcela Jara 3 years 5 months ago
4 2 0

I have a customer asking if we have a full list of previous and current and planned Symbol/Motorola MAC ranges as they have a customer that wants to add a Symbol/Motorola only MAC association rule to the security layers… Is this something that is available? Also is it something that is worth them doing? Thanks, Marcela

Please Register or Login to post a reply

2 Replies

K Kevin Marshall

Marcela, The best resource for obtaining allocated MAC address ranges is the following IEEE web-site http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/oui/public.html and search for "Symbol". If you need something more specific (i.e. MAC address ranges assigned to a specific Motorola device) then I would recommend reaching out to Motorola Solutions support.   Is it worth using? This really depends on your application. MAC authentication can be very useful in static WEP or WPA / WPA2 pre-shared key environments as it provides the ability to map groups of devices to specific VLANs or assign roles (i.e. dynamic firewall policies). MAC authentication is also useful for guest access deployments where return users can be permitted access to a Wireless LAN without being presented with a login page! Is MAC authentication useful as a security mechanism? Not really as valid MAC addresses can be easily sniffed and spoofed. However it is better than nothing and does at least offer an extra layer of protection for legacy WEP environments when combined with a stateful packet inspection firewall. Regards, Kevin

M Marcela Jara

Thanks very much Kevin! So i did contact tech support and they gave me this information: 
MCD products

00:23:68

00:15:70

40:83:DE

MC40 uses 40:83:DE

ES400/MC65 and MC45 have different ranges.

there's a long list of MAC address' on the IEEE site, guess we have a lot of products with a network card of one type or other!
Thanks for the additional feedback as well, all very helpful.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?