AP's using 3/4G backhaul

C Chris Fikert 3 years 5 months ago
1 1 0

Team, I have a customer that is looking to use multiple APs with 3G backhaul to cover a remote yard.  Is it possible to use multiple AP7131's with 3G backhaul to provide coverage to the area?  Or is it possible to use one AP7131 with 3G backhaul and use mesh to connect to the other APs so that essentially the 3G backhaul AP becomes the 'root' AP in the mesh setup?  My concerns are: roaming between APs if they are all using 3G backhaul and AP adoption using 3G.  The devices are MC9090s running Wavelink Telnet.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

1 Replies

K Kevin Marshall

Both options are possible but I would recommend using the "Root AP" as the gateway as it will be connected to the wired network. As 3G backhaul also requires routing the "Root AP" will also need to be the default gateway for the devices at the site. There are two ways you can explore for how to route the traffic down the 3G path during a failure: 1. Use default gateway redundancy - Effectively if the wired default gateway is un-reachable the Access Point will install the default route from the 3G interface. We use ARP and ICMP to determine if the normal DFG is alive. 2. Implement Policy Based Routing (PBR) with Critical Resource Monitoring (CRM). In this case we monitor the primary network path out of the site by pinging a host in the data center over the primary WAN connection. If this connection isun-reachable we can re-direct traffic to the default gateway via the 3G path. If the site already has a wired router (i.e. Cisco or other device) operating as a default gateway, we can also implement a first-hop router redundancy protocol such as VRRP. In this case the wired router would be the VRRP master and the "Root AP" would be the VRRP backup device. During a failure the "Root AP" would become the VRRP master thus becomes the DFG for the site. As with the previous example we can also use CRM as a way to dynamically adjust the priorities so that we can become the VRRP router in the event that the primary WAN path is unreachable. Regards, Kevin

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?