4.1 version string

J Jon Tara 3 years ago
0 2 0

Is there some good reason why the string in the file version is still 4.0.0 in both 4.1.0 and 4-1-stable branches?

This labels the Gem, and it's clearly confusing to have different Gems with the same version!

Please register or login to post a reply

2 Replies

J Jon Tara

FYI, some recent commits to the repo at least sort-out which branch is which. It still does not clarify exactly which commit was used to build the distributed Gem.

5-0-stable is apparently stuck at 5.0. This differs from previous policy where the x-y-stable branch had the latest distributed version for the major/minor version number.

master is apparently current development, currently labeled (in version file) 5.0.2. So, it is 5.0.2 plus more recent changes. But - the changing of the version string to '5.0.2' is a "more recent change", since apparently, this file was manually altered when 5.0.2 was built for distribution. (It was previously '4.1.0'.

We still need some way of identifying exactly which commit corresponds to each release. I'd suggest re-instituting the prior policy of tagging each release commit with the version number, using a git tag.

J Jon Tara

4-1-stable now has the version file set to string 4.1.0 as of a few days ago. Thanks!

However, Rhodes version is still clear as mud.

The version file (which sets the name of the Gem) says 4.1.0.

The repo has a tag of 4.1.1 on April 17 625df13c, and 'v4.1.1' on March 20 e22017ed

Current head of 4-1-stable is from June 4, 19646666

This post:

mentions various versions that have neither a tag in the repo nor any version with the version string set to that value.

The most recent blog post mentions 4.1.6 as the most recent version of Rhodes. I can find no evidence of such a version number in the git repo.

In short, I have no idea what the version numbers mean or how they correspond to the git repo. Heck, I'm not even sure what product (Rhodes? RhoStudio? Something else?) this number refers to.

Can we please get some clarity on Rhodes versioning?

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?