Building 5.0 Rhodes Gem

J Jon Tara 3 years ago
1 2 0

I prefer to build the Rhodes Gem myself, that way I can get the latest updates from the n-n-stable branch.

First off, though, there still is no guidance on version numbers and tags. I'm guessing that I should be using the 5-0-stable branch. Unclear to me what is in master, because it has the version file set to 4.1.0. (But has a lot of newer checkins not present in 5-0-stable).

Can somebody tell me exactly what branch (preferably, a git hash) was used to build the Gem in the 5.0 Suite?

I tried to build the Gem from the 5-0-stable branch, but I get this:

☺ ➜  motorola-rhodes gem build rhodes.gemspec                                                                                                                                                                git:(5-0-stable) ✗
WARNING:  See http://guides.rubygems.org/specification-reference/ for help
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::InvalidSpecificationException)
    ["lib/commonAPI/coreapi/ext/platform/android/jni/Coreapi_impl.cpp", "lib/commonAPI/coreapi/public/api/rhoapi-native.all.js", "lib/extensions/gmaps/ext/platform/android/Rakefile", "lib/extensions/openssl.so/ext/iphone/openssl/openssl.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj", "lib/extensions/openssl.so/ext/iphone/openssl/openssl/openssl-Prefix.pch", "lib/extensions/openssl.so/ext/wm/tmp/MC3000c50b (ARMV4I)/Release/BuildLog.htm", "lib/extensions/openssl.so/ext/wm/tmp/Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK (ARMV4I)/Release/BuildLog.htm", "platform/wm/rhodes/CEBrowserEngine.cpp", "platform/wm/rhodes/CEBrowserEngine.h", "platform/wm/rhodes/IBrowserEngine.cpp", "platform/wm/rhodes/IBrowserEngine.h", "platform/wm/rhodes/IEBrowserEngine.cpp", "platform/wm/rhodes/IEBrowserEngine.h", "res/generators/templates/iphone_project/Settings.bundle/Root.plist", "res/generators/templates/iphone_project/Settings.bundle/en.lproj/Root.strings", "res/libs/motorolalicence/android/MotorolaLicence.h", "res/libs/motorolalicence/android/libMotorolaLicence.a"] are not files

For now, I'll just extract the Gem from the Suite download. Maybe I can guess based on the file date...

From checkin comments, I gather this was going to be 4.2.0, and probably somebody made a marketing decision to call it "5.0". But now unsure of the relationship between repo branches and the released suite.

BTW, the new rhomobile.com site looks great, and the new licensing options greatly broaden the applicability of licensed components to different kinds of projects. It clarifies and reinforces that Rhodes/RhoElements is not just for Motorola devices. I think it makes developers not using it with Motorola products much more comfortable with Rhodes, as frankly, this has been a point of nervousness ever since Motorola acquired RhoMobile.

Edit: I see the current Suite is called 5.0.2 and the rhodes.gem inside is also called 5.0.2. There is no such tag or branch in the git repo, nor any branch/tag I can find that has a Rhodes version file with 5.0.2. So, no way for me to correlate the release with the actual repo.

Note that this could be important to some users because they'd like to do a security audit, etc. It's impossible if you can't correlate the Gem with the repo. And in that same situation, you would always want to build it yourself from the repo.

As well, any diligent developer would want to know exactly what fixes/changes were made from one version to the next. With open-spruce software, repo  checkin comments are the best way to do this. Release notes (when available) are nice, but the source code and checkin history is the most reliable. But without knowing exactly which commit was used for the build, this is impossible.

Suggestion: please get Rhodes builds tagged in some manner with a git hash. Maybe could be retrieved by a running app from System.git_hash or some-such. It it were also in some static file in the source, that would be helpful as well.

Please register or login to post a reply

2 Replies

J Jean-Eric Godard

Hello,
I'd like to try to build d Rhodes from source too.
Where can I found Rhodes 5.0 sources?

Thanks for help.

Best Regards

Jean-Eric Godard

K Kutir Mobility

Hi Jon

This issue needs help from Motorola. We will raise this issue with them to get an answer.

In the mean time we will also try to build the gem from our side to replicate the error.

Thank you.
Kutir Mobility.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?