Build with 5.0 - can build when offline?

J Jon Tara 3 years ago
0 2 0

With 5.0 command line build, you get this:

**** NOTE ****************************************************************************************************
   In order to use Rhodes framework you need to log in into your rhomobile account.
   If you don't have account please register at https://app.rhohub.com/To stop build just press enter.
**************************************************************************************************************
Login to cloud build system
Username: ^Crake aborted!

This concerns me.

Can I build on an airplane, with no connectivity? Can I build on a boat in the middle of the ocean without needing an expensive satellite connection? (or in an RV in a remote location...). This concerns one of my co-developers!

I don't need to build using the cloud. But I guess some sort of authentication is needed even to build locally. Is the authentication cached so that one does not have to be online in order to build?

Large bits of Linux were created completely off-line. It's one of the major considerations in the design of git, for example.

I see you can login (at least on the website) with GitHub or Google credentials. Will that work for command-line build?

Comment: the command-line prompt encourages weak passwords or putting passwords in scripts. This seems awkward for many developers.

Edit: apparently it downloads some files and modifies/adds them to your installed Rhodes Gem. Not sure if this is one-time or not. Some more information would be helpful. I have some concern about this. I don't like mysterious things happening "in the cloud" without explanation.

Please register or login to post a reply

2 Replies

V Vedsatx Saddvv

Hi,

Yes, you can build licensed applications offline.  After you have authenticated against the server your credentials are cached for about a week, after which time you will need to re-validate against the authentication server.

Regards,
Darryn.

M Michael Toews

Jon, Please see our docs here for details on the new licensing format. Currently, any user using Rhodes >= 5.0 MUST have a license to build, even if it is the free version of the license. Building remotely however, requires a paid license, either Silver or Gold.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?