Support for IOS Rhodes 8

F Fernando Coelho da Silva 2 years 11 months ago
0 3 0

Support for IOS Rhodes 8

Hello people, I wonder how is the support for the Rhodes for IOS 8.

The application made ​​with Rhodes 5.0.2 there have been great changes?

Please register or login to post a reply

3 Replies

J Jon Tara

I have the official word! from AppForum 2014.

"We're working on it."

Keep in mind that iOS8 is as yet unreleased. The Golden Master was released just the other day, and iOS beta versions prior to GM have to be taken with a grain of salt, as things can change radically during beta. So, many developers are reluctant to put a lot of effort into updates prior to GM. So, I would expect some Rhodes update some time after the official release of iOS8.

You can look at the Issues the Rhodes repository on gitHub in the master branch and see what has been changed recently in unreleased code and search for any references to iOS8. So, you can go look-in on some work in progress and try it if you like.

As well, I have seen reports of some issues with jQuery Mobile and iOS8. Rhodes currently ships with jQuery Mobile 1.3.x. Since jQuery Mobile 1.4 is the current version, and jQuery Mobile supports one version back, we can expect some update to jQuery Mobile 1.3.x after iOS8 is officially released. I don't know if there is a schedule - you may have to wait some time. (In case jQuery Mobile decides to release 1.5: "Danger, Will Robinson...", because 1.3.x will then be unsupported.)

In either case, it is more than likely that some internal testing has been done and that some bug reports have been filed. Many more bug reports will be filed after the official release of iOS8 and more developers are then experiencing problems.

What I do not know - and would love to hear about - is whether there will be support for the new WkWebView that is in iOS8. If the WkWebView (rather than UIWebView) can be supported when running on iOS8, then browser performance - especially of Javascript - will be much greater. WKWebView is the first embedded browser control in iOS that supports just-in-time complication to machine code. Previously, that was reserved for Mobile Safari only, and hybrid apps were in a "penalty box". WKWebView removes the penalty box.

J Jon Tara

FYI, in case you are using jQuery Mobile, you should know that jQuery Mobile 1.4.4 was released yesterday, and presumably may contain fixes for iOS 8. So, if your project does use jQuery Mobile 1.4.x, you should update it now. You can see the release notes (once available) here:

jQuery Mobile 1.4.4 Changelog | jQuery Mobile

There was no incremental release of jQuery Mobile 1.3 - it remains at version 1.3.2 from July 2014. However, I would expect an update to  version 1.3.3 shortly, as jQuery Mobile does support one version back. The 1.4.4 release was done live at the jQuery Conference, which is a jQuery tradition. They don't do the live conference update for previous versions, and so we'll have to wait for the developers to get settled back in from their conference, and I'd expect a 1.3.x release in the next few days.

You can usually drop-in a new same-major-version jQuery Mobile release to your Rhodes project, so long as you are not using jquery-patch.js where they may be version dependencies.

It is common for projects such as this to receive a volume of Issues after a major release like IOS, as a larger number of developers who did not beta test start encountering problems. So, I would look for an additional release of both jQuery Mobile 1.4.x and 1.3.x again within the next couple of months.

K Kutir Mobility

This issue needs help from Motorola. We will raise this issue with them to get an answer.

Visnupriya R
Kutir Mobility

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?