Getting started with EMDK

W William Daly 3 years ago
7 1 0

I'm having difficulty getting started with EMDK. I downloaded EMDK for .NET 2.9 but the install fails saying Visual Studio is not found. This is true as I don't have Visual Studio installed. In the past for other devices, I've been able to do all of my development in SharpDevelop. Is that not an option for Motorola devices?

If Visual Studio is required for development, what version do I need? Is the EMDK compatible with Visual Studio 2013 or would I need an older version? Would the Express version of Visual Studio work or do I need the full version?

Please register or login to post a reply

1 Replies

V Vedsatx Saddvv

I'm not familiar with SharpDevelop, but I took a quick look and it looks like it is for developing full .Net Framework apps.  Our Windows based rugged handhelds are running CE or Windows Mobile/Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5.  These OSs do not support the full .Net framework, they support Compact Framework.  Microsoft only supports building apps for these devices using Visual Studio 2005 or 2008. See the readme file that comes with the EMDK for more details.

Paste from that file:
Development PC
Install Requirements for Visual Studio 2005:

Microsoft® Windows XP (32-bit) or Microsoft® Windows Vista (32-bit) or Microsoft® Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) or Microsoft® Windows 8
Microsoft® Visual Studio 2005 *
Microsoft ActiveSync 4.2 or higher (only for Windows XP, Vista has its own Mobile Device Center)
Microsoft® Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 or higher. (only for Windows 7)
One of more of the following SDKs for the Windows Mobile development:

Microsoft® Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK for PocketPC
Microsoft® Windows Mobile 6.0 Professional SDK for Pocket PC
Microsoft® Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional Developer Tool Kit

* EMDK for .NET requires at least Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 installed on the development PC.Install Requirements for Visual Studio 2008:

Microsoft® Windows XP (32-bit) or Microsoft® Windows Vista (32-bit) or Microsoft® Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) or Microsoft® Windows 8
Microsoft® Visual Studio 2008 *
Microsoft ActiveSync 4.5 or higher (only for Windows XP, Vista has its own Mobile Device Center)
Microsoft® Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 or higher. (only for Windows 7)
One of more of the following SDKs for the Windows Mobile development:

Microsoft® Windows Mobile 6.0 Professional SDK for Pocket PC
Microsoft® Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional Developer Tool Kit

If developing applications for Windows Embedded Compact 7.0 (CE 7.0) is a requirement, then install the followings:

Microsoft® Visual Studio 2008 with Service Pack1
Install the update that adds support for Windows Embedded Compact 7.0
Install the update that extends support for Windows Embedded Compact 7.0. This fix is required only if you are targeting ATL or MFC.

* The edition of Visual Studio installed must support mobile device development. Express editions of Visual Studio do not support mobile device development. Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition does not support mobile device development.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?