14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2015 5:20 PM by Mark Nongkhlaw

iOS push notifications

sushant.rawale-ext@jci.com

Hi All,

I have got one application for development. Its been developed in Xamarin Studio and currently published through RhoGallary.

My client wants to implement push notifications in same app. Push notifications were working in this app but client wants to change timing and conditions while its pushed.

The third person from whom I have taken handover stopped replying. Now in current position I can say that notifications are not local. If those are not local then is there any way I can find out from where those Push notifications are getting pushed to device? What steps should I take to sort out this problem?

How can I get access to that code?

Please help. Thanks in advance!!

• Re: iOS push notifications
          Jon Tara

Confused. Xamarin Studio has nothing to do with Rhodes or RhoGallery. Xamarin Studio is a kind of competing product with Rhodes. Are you sure you are in the right place?

Push notifications are sent by an Apple server. A server of yours sends messages to a server at Apple. A server at Apple sends messages to the app.

Local and Push Notifications for Developers - Apple Developer

Jon Tara, Thank you very much for quick reply!!

I am not asking about Xamarin, App has already developed in Xamarin. I want to know if app has released on RhoGallary, then who takes care of iOS push notifications. Is there any special provision made by Rhofamily?

If right now I have no details of how notifications are sent or how are they configured, how can I know it?

Mark Nongkhlaw

You would be better off posting your question in a Xamarin support or discussion forum.

Mark Nongkhlaw, thank you for quick reply!!

I am not asking about Xamarin, App has already developed in Xamarin. I want to know if app has released on RhoGallary, then who takes care of iOS push notifications. Is there any special provision made by Rhofamily?

If right now I have no details of how notifications are being sent or how are they configured, how can I know it?

I want to make modifications in notifications, is there any way to configure them?

Pietro Francesco Maggi

Hi Sushant,

You can see RhoGallery as a Mobile Application Manager (you can find more information looking for MAM), sort of an Enterprise AppStore.

We've in our RhoConnect a cross-platform Push Messaging solution (aka, RhoConnect Push) however this service, on iOS, is based on Apple Push Notification system (another three-letter: APN).

So, given that your application is done with Xamarin, and is just for iOS, may be worthwhile to spend some time on Xamarin docs site:

Push Notifications in iOS - Xamarin

If you need a cross-platform solution for Push, then we can talk about RhoConnect Push :-)

Best regards

~Pietro

Thank you very much Pietro Maggi!!

Your answer a lot helpful in my case!!!

My application is developed in Xamarin for iOS and android as well, but android version has not released yet. so i guess it should be cross-platform. Is there any way cross check from where notifications are being pushed? whether from APN system or rhoConnect push?

Jon Tara

It's not from RhoConnect Push, because you are not using RhoConnect - you've written your application in Xamarin, and Xamarin doesn't use RhoConnect!

You must be mistaken that your app has been published in RhoGallary. You can only publish Rhodes apps (and, specifically, those using RhoElements) in RhoGallary, not Xamarin apps.

I'm still not sure why you are here, rather than in a Xamarin forum. Were you considering re-writing the app in Rhodes instead of Xamarin?

Do you have access to your iOS Developer account? You will be able to determine online what server is authorized to send push messages to Apple.

Pietro Francesco Maggi

Hi Sushant,

I think that the best option you've is to reach out to the original developers of the application and get the information you're looking for.

If you don't understand what you've now, it's close to impossible to modify it.

Best regards

~Pietro

Jon Tara

Pietro, I didn't reallize RhoGallary was for any sort of app. I thought it was only for RhoElements apps.

How is this possible for iOS, though?

I see also now it is called App Management, though?

Not easily finding documentation. I may actually have a use for this if it can take the place of the old TestFlight, and it might be possible to install non-appStore iOS apps.

Mark Nongkhlaw

I remember there were webinars in the past on RhoGallery, but those were for the old one, and sometimes, there were issues like the client app forever stuck on the loading screen after login.

>I see also now it is called App Management, though?

However, there were changes since then, and I believe they were going towards MAM/MDM, rather than just distributing apps thru invites, so maybe push has also been integrated.

I agree there's been little documentation and no tech talk (if they still call them that) on the new RhoGallery.

I'm also interested in knowing how this differs from other products like SOTI.

But why not give it a spin?

Mark Nongkhlaw

BTW, the last message I got about RhoGallery was this https://developer.motorolasolutions.com/message/15441

Maybe Landon Essig/Pietro can elaborate further...

Pietro Francesco Maggi

2925663d-b82b-4277-8853-ee106d468440 is the Lord of RhoGallery land and he can share some knowledge on this... sorry, I'm going through all Games of Thrones' episodes ;-)

I can comment that we're still investing improving RhoGallery and we plan to have on all our Android devices a "AppGallery" application that we use to distribute enterprise apps and demo. AppGallery is currently built using the same RhoGallery technology.

We used to have a RhoGallery Classic and we've now a new RhoGallery website available at the URL http://rg.rhomobile.com. You can reach both of them from the main RhoHub page at the URL: http://rms.rhomobile.com, from the banner:

Screen Shot 2015-04-02 at 09.52.06.png

The basic idea is that you've Galleries of application for the different OSes (native apps or cross-platform apps) and user groups. you can assign multiple galleries of application to one group and then invite user to a group through email. They download the RhoGallery app, login with username and password you shared with them and they see the galleries you assigned to them.

RhoGallery can manage updates of the apps and delete apps and data of the managed applications.

On iOS all the usual rules apply. I've seen some time ago a presentation that was explaining how to integrate RhoGallery with Apple AppStore, I don't know if this has been updated to support Apple Volume purchases or not.

This is a bit dated but Adam provided here a nice overview and the thinking behind RhoGallery: RhoGallery Introduction

Best regards

~Pietro

Mark Nongkhlaw

Thank you, Pietro for the insights as well as future roadmap for RG. So is it out of beta yet? Is it still free to test?

One downside with RG (which is actually an upside for enterprise distribution) is I need to invite users/groups. This is akin to trying to purchase an OnePlus One phone. Normally, you simply can't without an invite. One of a kind, eh?

So, can RG also be expanded to act like an 'open & searchable & downloadable' resource without needing invites for certain apps or groups of apps?