Android Studio java.lang.RuntimeException: stub

Hi,

I am trying to get the EMDK up and running with Android Studio 1.1.0 on mac os x.

I've been following this guide:

Developing EMDK Apps With Android Studio 1.0.x

I managed to get the addon-symbol-emdk_v3.0_API-16 (and 19) folders out of the windows installers for ADT.

In Android Studio i include the com.symbol.emdk.jar in my libs folder.

I also tried it another way by using the EMDK sdk as target sdk: "Symbol Technologies, Inc.:EMDK 3.0 (API 16):16"

Both give the same result:

java.lang.RuntimeException: stub when i access a method from the EMDK.

On the MC40 that i am testing on, the EmdkOSUpdateApp_v3.0.4.apk installer was run. In the filebrowser i can see /system/framework/com.symbol.emdk.jar

Any ideas on how to get the EMDK working?

Thanks

Bert

Anonymous (not verified)
You don't want the com.symbol

You don't want the com.symbol.emdk.jar file exported with your application, I'm not too sure how to do it in Android Studio but in Eclipse under Java Build Path it would be a reference library but not exported with the application (Project Properties -> Java Build Path -> Order and Export -> EMDK is unchecked). By not exporting the .jar you'll reference the .jar you've installed previously on the device that you referenced at /system/framework.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Pietro Francesc...
Hi Bert,what I usually do is

Hi Bert,

what I usually do is to copy the com.symbol.emdk.jar into the lib folder and update the app.gradle file so that the jar package is seen by the tools but not included in the build:

dependencies {

compile fileTree(dir: 'libs', include: ['*.jar'], exclude: ['com.symbol.emdk.jar'])

compile 'com.android.support:appcompat-v7:21.0.3'

provided files('./libs/com.symbol.emdk.jar')

}

Usually this works for me, is not currently supported.

We're working to release official support for OS X Android Studio shortly.

~Pietro

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Bert Wijnants
Using "provided" in the

Using "provided" in the dependencies did the trick.

On the other hand, i also needed to add some permissions and libraries in the manifest:

<uses-permission android:name="com.symbol.emdk.permission.EMDK" />

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.CAMERA" />

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.VIBRATE" />

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW" />

and in your <application>

<uses-library android:name="com.symbol.emdk" />

<uses-library android:name="com.motorolasolutions.scanner" />

<uses-library android:name="com.motorolasolutions.adc.usbscanner" android:required="false" />

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Pietro Francesc...
Sure,the usual EMDK

Sure,

the usual EMDK application requirements are still there, doesn't matter if you're using Android Studio or Ecliplse+ADT.

You can use the tutorials in the EMDK section of Launchpad to see how to build an app:

~Pietro

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Dave DiGregorio
I am having same/similiar

I am having same/similiar issue. Any help is appreciated. My error is ...

02-12 16:06:02.195 5794-5794/com.sap.johnshopkins.sapparinventory E/AndroidRuntime: FATAL EXCEPTION: main

java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{com.sap.johnshopkins.sapparinventory/com.sap.johnshopkins.sapparinventory.CountTemplateActivity}: java.lang.RuntimeException: stub

at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2102)

at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2127)

at android.app.ActivityThread.access$600(ActivityThread.java:136)

at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1228)

at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)

at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:137)

at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4812)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:511)

at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:786)

at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:553)

at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: stub

at com.symbol.emdk.EMDKManager.getEMDKManager(Unknown Source)

at com.sap.johnshopkins.sapparinventory.CountTemplateActivity.onCreate(CountTemplateActivity.java:193)

at android.app.Activity.performCreate(Activity.java:5042)

at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnCreate(Instrumentation.java:1082)

at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2066)

at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2127)

at android.app.ActivityThread.access$600(ActivityThread.java:136)

at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1228)

at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)

at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:786)

My environment is ...

MC40 4.1.1

Android Studio 1.5.1

EMDK 4.0

Below is my build.gradle....

apply plugin: 'com.android.application'

android {

compileSdkVersion 'Symbol Technologies LLC:EMDK 4.0 (API 19):19'
   buildToolsVersion '22.0.1'
   defaultConfig {

applicationId "com.sap.johnshopkins.sapparinventory"
   minSdkVersion 16
   targetSdkVersion 19
   versionCode 1
   versionName "1.0"
   }

compileOptions {

sourceCompatibility JavaVersion.VERSION_1_7
   targetCompatibility JavaVersion.VERSION_1_7
   }

buildTypes {

release {

minifyEnabled false
   proguardFiles getDefaultProguardFile('proguard-android.txt'), 'proguard-rules.pro'
   }

}

productFlavors {

}

}

dependencies {

compile fileTree(dir: 'libs', include: ['*.jar'])

testCompile 'junit:junit:4.12'
   compile 'com.android.support:appcompat-v7:19.+'
   compile files('libs/ksoap2-android-assembly-3.4.0-jar-with-dependencies(1).jar')

provided files('libs/com.symbol.emdk.jar')

}

And here is portion of my AndroidManifest.xml......

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
   package="com.sap.johnshopkins.sapparinventory" >

<uses-sdk
   android:minSdkVersion="16"
   android:targetSdkVersion="19" />

<android:uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />

<android:uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE" />

<android:uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />

<android:uses-permission android:name="com.symbol.emdk.permission.EMDK" />

<android:uses-permission
   android:name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"
   android:maxSdkVersion="18" />

<application
   android:allowBackup="true"
   android:icon="@mipmap/ic_launcher"
   android:label="@string/app_name"
   android:theme="@style/AppTheme" >

<activity
   android:name=".MainActivity"
   android:label="@string/app_name" >

<intent-filter>

<action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />

<category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />

</intent-filter>

</activity>

<activity
   android:name=".CountTemplateActivity"
   android:label="@string/title_activity_count_template" >

<uses-library android:name="com.symbol.emdk" android:required="true"/>

</activity>

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Dave, It looks like you have

Dave, It looks like you have uses-library in the wrong place in your manifest. Move it up out of the activity declaration, into the application node.

<application

<activity

<intent-filter>

</intent-filter>

</activity>

<activity

</activity>

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Dave DiGregorio
Thanks Bill. I made the

Thanks Bill. I made the change and receive a different error ....

02-12 17:17:41.765 10879-10879/com.sap.johnshopkins.sapparinventory E/AndroidRuntime: FATAL EXCEPTION: main

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sap/johnshopkins/sapparinventory/CountTemplateActivity

at com.sap.johnshopkins.sapparinventory.ChooseTemplateMenuActivity$1.onClick(ChooseTemplateMenuActivity.java:61)

at android.view.View.performClick(View.java:4084)

at android.view.View$PerformClick.run(View.java:16966)

at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:615)

at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:92)

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalAccessError: Class ref in pre-verified class resolved to unexpected implementation

at dalvik.system.DexFile.defineClass(Native Method)

at dalvik.system.DexFile.loadClassBinaryName(DexFile.java:211)

at dalvik.system.DexPathList.findClass(DexPathList.java:315)

at dalvik.system.BaseDexClassLoader.findClass(BaseDexClassLoader.java:58)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:501)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:461)

at com.sap.johnshopkins.sapparinventory.ChooseTemplateMenuActivity$1.onClick(ChooseTemplateMenuActivity.java:61)

at android.view.View.performClick(View.java:4084)

at android.view.View$PerformClick.run(View.java:16966)

at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:615)

at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:92)

My ChooseTemplateMenuActivity has a button that starts the CountTemplateActivity. The CountTemplateActivity is where the use of EMDK and scanning will occur. EMDK is not referenced in ChooseTemplateMenuActivity. The EMDKResults results = EMDKManager.getEMDKManager is no longer the issue. I get same error when I comment the line out. Below is the activity start code from ChooseTemplateMenuActivity.......

btnCount.setOnClickListener(new View.OnClickListener() {

public void onClick(View arg0) {

Intent myIntent = new Intent(ChooseTemplateMenuActivity.this,

CountTemplateActivity.class);

myIntent.putExtra("templateSelected", templateSelected);

startActivity(myIntent);

}

});

Beginning of my CountTemplateActivity code looks like below.  .....

import com.symbol.emdk.EMDKManager;

import com.symbol.emdk.EMDKManager.EMDKListener;

import com.symbol.emdk.barcode.ScanDataCollection;

import com.symbol.emdk.barcode.Scanner.DataListener;

import com.symbol.emdk.barcode.Scanner.StatusListener;

import com.symbol.emdk.barcode.StatusData;

import com.symbol.emdk.barcode.BarcodeManager;

import com.symbol.emdk.barcode.BarcodeManager.DeviceIdentifier;

import com.symbol.emdk.EMDKManager.FEATURE_TYPE;

import com.symbol.emdk.EMDKResults;

import com.symbol.emdk.barcode.ScanDataCollection.LabelType;

import com.symbol.emdk.barcode.ScanDataCollection.ScanData;

import com.symbol.emdk.barcode.Scanner;

import com.symbol.emdk.barcode.ScannerConfig;

import com.symbol.emdk.barcode.Scanner.TriggerType;

import com.symbol.emdk.barcode.ScannerException;

import com.symbol.emdk.barcode.ScannerResults;

import com.symbol.emdk.barcode.StatusData.ScannerStates;

public class CountTemplateActivity extends Activity

implements

EMDKListener, StatusListener, DataListener

{

// Declare a variable to store EMDKManager object
   private EMDKManager emdkManager = null;

// Declare a variable to store Barcode Manager object
   private BarcodeManager barcodeManager = null;

// Declare a variable to hold scanner device to scan
   private Scanner scanner = null;

boolean isScanning = false;

@Override
   protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {

super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);

setContentView(R.layout.activity_count_template);

Intent intent = getIntent();

// The EMDKManager object will be created and returned in the callback.
   EMDKResults results = EMDKManager.getEMDKManager(

getApplicationContext(), this);

// Check the return status of getEMDKManager and update the status Text
// View accordingly
   if (results.statusCode != EMDKResults.STATUS_CODE.SUCCESS) {

lbl_status_area.setText("EMDKManager Request Failed");

}

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Dave DiGregorio
Should have included the new

Should have included the new manifest....

<uses-sdk

<android:uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />

<application

<activity

<intent-filter>

</intent-filter>

</activity>

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hey Dave, is that the full

Hey Dave, is that the full manifest?  If so it seems you no longer have CountTemplateActivity declared.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Dave DiGregorio
No. Here is the full manifest

No. Here is the full manifest...

<uses-sdk

<application

<activity

<intent-filter>

</intent-filter>

</activity>

<activity

</activity>

<activity
   android:name=".LoadTemplateActivity"
   android:label="@string/title_activity_load_template" >

</activity>

<activity
   android:name=".ChooseTemplateMenuActivity"
   android:label="@string/title_activity_choose_template_menu" >

</activity>

<activity
   android:name=".SettingsActivity"
   android:label="@string/title_activity_settings" >

</activity>

<activity
   android:name=".RefreshJHEDsActivity"
   android:label="@string/title_refresh_jheds" >

</activity>

<activity
   android:name=".RefreshTemplatesActivity"
   android:label="@string/title_refresh_templates" >

</activity>

<activity
   android:name=".LoadTemplateItemsActivity"
   android:label="@string/title_load_template_items" >

</activity>

<activity
   android:name=".TestConnectivityActivity"
   android:label="@string/title_test_connectivity" >

</activity>

<activity
   android:name=".UploadCountsActivity"
   android:label="@string/title_upload_counts" >

</activity>

</application>

</manifest>

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Dave DiGregorio
Bill-I was able to resolve my

Bill-

I was able to resolve my issue by removing com.symbol.emdk.jar from the libs folder. Guess I didn't need it since I am using compileSdkVersion 'Symbol Technologies LLC:EMDK 4.0 (API 19):19'

Thanks for your help.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’