Something strange in build 10-06 and a little crash when English is not your language

// Expert user has replied.
P Pietro Francesco Maggi 3 years 5 months ago
1 1 0

Updating my device to build 10-06 I've noticed a couple of strange things linked to the security settings page (I've done a Factory reset before updating the device):

1. Unknown source is disabled
2. There's a App Op option in the Security menu

While the first item it's a bit strange for a device used with most of the apps coming from sideloading, the second item is quite interesting.

The App Ops menu is a cool feature but it's not really something you expect to get as it was only available in v4.3:
App Ops: Android 4.3's Hidden App Permission Manager, Control Permissions For Individual Apps! [Update]

and then removed by Google in v4.4.2:
Google Removes Vital Privacy Feature From Android, Claiming Its Release Was Accidental | Electronic Frontier Foundation

Is this something included in the built on purpose or is there just by mistake?
BTW, if you try to change the permission of the Data Analytics app it crash if you're not using English as your input language (tested with Italian and German):

What did you get with "App Ops"? you can fine tune app permission removing some of them:

~Pietro

Please Register or Login to post a reply

1 Replies

H Herbert de Jong

Hi Pietro,

i can answers the first one.

Unknown sources disables is in fact needed to pass CTS  and be Google ( GMS ) Compliant.
therefore ir it is in recent builds and rev A KK TC55 02.52  disabled by default

the App Ops  is strange indeed, it was discussed on earlier Beta call, and left with Glenn Rockford to see what settings need to be disabled.and allign across our KK released

we might need to log an CQ for TC75 around this

TC55 KK 02.52  has it enable as well, but it is too late there i guess to log an CQ

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?