Rhomobile and WKWebView

L Louis Mauchet 3 years ago
1 1 0

Hi,

With IOS8, Apple has released the WKWebView interface which contain some very useful improvements (such as JS engine optimizations) compared to the old UIWebView.
But it seems that Rhomobile still uses UIWebView and I don't see any occurence of WKWebView on the master branch in GitHub.
Is the upgrade from UIWebView to WKWebView is planned by the rhomobile dev team?

Thanks,

Louis

Please register or login to post a reply

1 Replies

J Jon Tara

It would certainly be a welcome addition, and I hope we can get this soon. But I note that PhoneGap doesn't have it yet, either, so may not be as easy as it seems on the surface.

From what I have read about XCode7 and iOS9, though, I'll bet the Rhodes team will have their hands full dealing with build again. Every time Apple comes out with a new major iOS version, they throw curveballs that require extensive changes to the build system. There is a whole new way of dealing with dual 32/64-bit architecture for App Store submission. Now you will upload partly-compiled code in a neutral bitcode, and the App Store itself will compile that to machine code! (Presumably, there is a way to bypass that or complete the compile yourself for test.) But in any case, that big bundle of Rake scripts gets to be extensively modified yet again...

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?