The method detailed below will allow a StageNow profile to be manually modified in order to allow the profile to be staged from any FTP server i.e. it is no longer dependent upon the StageNow server on the local subnet. This allows an internet/intranet-based FTP server to be used to deploy profiles e.g. the attached SN barcode (created using this method) will install Adobe PDF reader on any device which has a pre-configured Internet connection. This functionality is due to be added to a future release of the tool but this method will work on the current 2.2 or later release.
StageNow 2.2 (or Later) Central Server Config
- Create profile to copy file from SN server to device and add any other required steps
- Export profile as XML using icon from main profile list
- Load XML into file editor and modify the file copy section e.g.
<parm name="SourceURI" value="ftp-p://StageNow:StageNow@localhost:21/SETTINGS/_060515_155208_528/tunein.player.apk" />
<parm name="SourceURI" value="ftp-p://username:firstname.lastname@example.org:21/android/utils/tunein.player.apk" />
Where: username = FTP username (NB: usernames in the format email@example.com are not supported!!!!)
Password = FTP password
ftp.ibackup.com = FTP server URL
21 = default FTP port
/android/utils/tunein.player.apk = path and filename of file on FTP server
- Make sure that file exists at the specified FTP server/path – it will not be deployed there by StageNow so has to be manually copied to the required location
- Make sure that each remote file included in the profile is in a separate folder on the FTP server
- Transfer the MD5 checksum to the FTP server sub-folder in which each file is located. The checksum can be generated via a tool such as the ones detailed in the subsequent posts on this thread. It can also be copied directly from the internal StageNow FTP folder structure which is located in the path C:\Users\<your accountname>\AppData\Roaming\StageNow\AST\FTP\SETTINGS. The sub-folders in this path contain the files to be deployed for each profile together with the MD5 checksum file. The screenshots below show two FTP folders containing the file to transfer and the associated MD5 checksum file
4.Rename the profile on import , generate barcode and test. Device will require an internet connection (either configured as part of the profile or pre-configured)