6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2015 9:21 AM by Mark Nongkhlaw

WP8 : jQM is supported, but what about Ajax?

Mark Nongkhlaw

Rho includes jQM 1.3.1 and I believe it is supported for WP builds. But I'm not sure if Ajax using jQuery is supported for WP.

Can somebody throw some light/provide sample code, please ?

I'm looking for a way to do cascading dropdowns without a page refresh with jQM on WP.

• Re: WP8 : jQM is supported, but what about Ajax?
          Jon Tara

Browser support for jQuery Mobile 1.3 (which comes with Rhodes)

https://jquerymobile.com/browser-support/1.3/

Looks like WP8 isn't supported at all. That doesn't mean it won't work, but as 1.3 was released before WP8, no guarantees.

Browser support for jQuery Mobile 1.4.x (you can upgrade, but might be a LOT of work for existing projects!)

https://jquerymobile.com/browser-support/1.4/

It looks like you need to update to 1.4.x.

Mark Nongkhlaw

It looks like you need to update to 1.4.x.

Thanks Jon. I downloaded jQM 1.4.5 stable. Need to add it to an existing app. I know I really should try it out in the browser first, but can you give some hints on how to go about it, and what changes I need in layout.erb etc. to achieve what I wanted (cascading dropdowns with Ajax). Would I still need those (opinionated) wp7 js and patch files that come with Rho?

I also came across this jQM WP8 theme open source project : jqmobile-wp8-theme by sgrebnov

Although it looks like its only for theming but supports JQM 1.3 and requires Cordova and Cordova plugins as well as Silverlight, I'm wondering if it can be used for the same purpose with some modifications or would that require even more effort?

• Re: Re: WP8 : jQM is supported, but what about Ajax?
                  Jon Tara

There a jQuery Mobile upgrade guide. There were a LOT of changes in 1.4!

https://jquerymobile.com/upgrade-guide/1.4/

Would I still need those (opinionated) wp7 js and patch files that come with Rho?

No idea about the wp7 js.

The jQuery Mobile patch file WILL NOT WORK. It patches a different version. I never use it, nor the features that depend on it. (I asked Donald Trump - he said that "wait pages are a horrible thing, just horrible. My Blackberry doesn't have wait pages, never had em', never will!" - OK, I lie, but he'd say that...)

I don't use any of the supplied CSS files. They were RhoMobiles opinion on matching the OS look and feel years ago...

I also came across this jQM WP8 theme open source project : jqmobile-wp8-theme by sgrebnov

Although it looks like its only for theming but supports JQM 1.3

See above. HTML structural differences are very significant from 1.3 to 1.4.

Mark Nongkhlaw

Thanks Jon. I didn't realize the magnitude of changes. That guide really shows it. I only hope the next version will take it into account.

Jon Tara

IMO the 1.4 changes killed jQuery Mobile. Ironically, because they were needed. But they were so radical that they broke every project made with older versions. That wasn't true of older version updates.

It would have been successful IF the team had been able to put the previous level of effort into the project. But I surmise the project doesn't have the funding level it had in the past, and they seem barely plugging-along on 1.5. What was needed was to put the engine in overdrive, so that developers could see there would be a payback on the upgrade effort and that more would be coming.

So, now, developers have lost interest in JQM and moved on. And with less interest, there's also less appeal to fund the project. Keep in mind that JQM is not the typical grass-roots or small-compnay/startup company open-source project, but a collaboration funded by deep pockets (Adobe, Microsoft, IBM, etc.), and, oh, now we're reaching in and only finding pocket lint!

I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling from JQM, and likely won't use it in another project.