6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2015 12:02 PM by David Garratt

    SPB 2.2 Help Needed

    David Garratt

      OK - I know this is an old product but it's what the customer is using. I have created an application which is a servlet and uses Apache Tomcat as the web server to host it. The customer wants to move from regular http (port 8080) to https (port 8443). The application works find on http but when it tries to resolve the https url it always comes back with "Page not found". The exact same url works find on the same network using a PC (Internet explorer). The web pages are identical - only the protocol is different.

       

      I am running this on a Motorola MC9090 using Windows Mobile. I have installed a locally created .keystore certificate.

       

      I have to admit I'm not sure if this problem is Windows Mobile or SPB as obviously the latter uses the networking capabilities of the OS.

       

      I can't use ports 80 & 443 as IIS is also running on the same server.

       

      Any ideas would be most welcome

       

      Thanks in advance

       

      Dave

        • Re: SPB 2.2 Help Needed
          Daniel Silva

          Make sure the date on the device is correct.  It needs to be within the valid dates on any certs involved.  If that doesn't help, can you see if you can get to the page with the default browser on the device?  That might help determine if it is a PB issue or something else.

            • Re: SPB 2.2 Help Needed
              David Garratt

              Good idea about the date - I will check that.

               

              A little more information. These devices use a local menu which point to a number of web pages. What I'm seeing is that if the web page is a IIS HTTPS page using default port 443 it just works. It should be noted that the web server has a full blown valid paid certificate installed for Windows / IIS. When I click the link for the Tomcat site which is also HTTPS it is using port 8443 and has a locally created .keystore file.

               

              If I use a PC to access the same link the browser warns that the certificate cannot be validated but offers the option to continue - which works. The SPB comes up with a Page Not Found dialog which is confusing me. Is it simply a generic error for something it does not like including the port number and or local certificate ?

               

              At no point does the SPB display a warning about the certificate - it's just as if it can't resolve the ip or some windows mobile firewall is blocking it. Don't even know if Windows Mobile has a firewall.

               

              I tried the standard Windows IE browser on the device and it also just sits and waits eventually coming back with a Page not Found. The exact same web page accessed using port 8080 http works. I'm using the servers IP in the url and not a name which might not resolve.

               

              It's most confusing

               

              Thanks for your quick reply..

               

              Dave

                • Re: SPB 2.2 Help Needed
                  Joydeep Chakraborty

                  Hi Dave,

                  If Internet explorer in the device can not open that page,then SPB also will not be able to do so,as it bundles Internet explorer as a rendering engine.

                  First,you need to make it work with Internet explorer outside SPB and then try the same in SPB. If it works on IE on device,same will work with SPB as well.

                   

                  Some things to check

                  1.As Dan mentioned please ensure device date time and timezone is correct.

                  2.Please check the proxy settings in the device.

                  3.Install the required certificates in the windows mobile device. the option of bypassing the certificates may not be there in IE in the device.

                  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc182301.aspx

                   

                  Regards,

                  Joydeep

              • Re: SPB 2.2 Help Needed
                David Garratt

                Ok - so we have eliminated the date time element as apparently the customer gets the current date/time from the network.

                 

                I have a test machine and I've created a new wireless profile so I don't think there is a Proxy setting anywhere in the equation unless there is something in the registry which I've not found yet.

                 

                That leaves me with the ssl certificate being a locally created one or it being a generic issue with port 8443 being something it cannot handle.

                 

                I will try and narrow it down further.

                 

                What would be great would be some virtual machine emulator for one of these devices :-)

                 

                Thanks

                 

                Dave

                  • Re: SPB 2.2 Help Needed
                    Daniel Silva

                    One other thought came to mind.  There have been some OS updates for a lot of our more recent devices to support SHA2 certificates.  Microsoft has updated the OS's that are still supported to include support for SHA2, and we have built updates for those devices so customers can use those.  Unfortunately. the OS running on the MC9090 is end of support with Microsoft, so you will not be able to support SHA2 certs on those devices.

                      • Re: SPB 2.2 Help Needed
                        David Garratt

                        I think your on the correct line of thought. It's been suggested that the cypher/encryption supported by Apache Tomcat 8 it too advanced for the browser on the device. I am now looking to see if I can configure tomcat to use an earlier simpler method.


                        Dave