6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2015 10:24 AM by Mark Nongkhlaw

Change in app UI after phone upgrade from WP8 to WP8.1

Mark Nongkhlaw

My already installed app's UI (but not the functionality) got changed after the phone was upgraded from WP8 to WP8.1

Specifically, the jQM data-filter="true" directive on the listview normally includes a small maginfying glass icon. This icon which was showing before the upgrade is now invisible (please see attached files 1a.png and 1b.jpg to understand what I mean).

Secondly, the Submit button's label which was showing before the upgrade is now invisible (please see attached files 2a.png and 2b.jpg to understand what I mean).

The jQM version used when the app was initially installed was 1.0. The UI showed correctly before the phone OS upgrade even with that version, but deteriorated after the upgrade mentioned above. I have now changed to jQM 1.3.2 and re-installed the app to device, but the UI remains the same (no icon, no Submit button label).

Was there any change in the WP platform's webview from 8 to 8.1 that somehow effected the above?

All I've got is this : https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/apps/jj206947.aspx

but there's no reference to jqm in that article.

Would be grateful for suggestions/workarounds.

• Re: Change in app UI after phone upgrade from WP8 to WP8.1
          Jon Tara

JQM 1.3 was released before WP8, let alone 8.1.

https://jquerymobile.com/browser-support/1.3/

For any hope of it working, try 1.4.5.

In any case, you might play around with IE metas. Normally, it's advised to use:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">

to keep the browser out of quirks mode. But, with JQM not updated for latest release, you may actually want to invoke quirks mode, and use a specific value less than edge. Not sure what IE version goes with WP 7.8, which is the highest version supported by JQM 1.3.

Mark Nongkhlaw

My app was actually targetting the lowest possible WP version when it was first built (WP 7) and the default version that came with Rho (jqm 1.0). It was shown in the app store as compatible with WP versions 7,7.5,8,8.1 at the time. Of course I understand compatibility does not mean no change in UI. But I had no WP7.x phone to test with, only WP8, it looked & worked as expected.

I'm looking for any changes to the IE browser component (webview or whatever you might call it) from 8 to 8.1 that might have broken the jqm.

Changing to 1.4.5 might work for WP >= 8, but not below, though I'm not sure how many users would still be having WP<8 (this is a consumer facing app).

I did try inserting the meta tag though it was not edge but something like IE=9, will have to check my code. It didn't help.

So looks like I'll need a totally separate machine for >=WP8 with jqm 1.4.5 and Windows 8 to test out (not sure if I'll need another for  Windows 10 later - ahh! the pitfalls of being a Windows dev)

Addendum: Now I'm not even sure if I should succumb to Microsoft bait and upgrade PC and phone to version 10!

Jon Tara

Oh, wait, what browser are you using?

WP native? Or QT? Looks like they found a bug. See end of thread.

Windows 8 Tablet problems

Mark Nongkhlaw

Jon, I did see that discussion, but wasn't sure how Qt can be used for WP as an alternative browser. Can you elaborate?

Jon Tara

Sorry, Mark, got my alternative browsers mixed-up! They're talking about Windows 8 tablets on that other thread.

Do you use IE or a RhoMobile-provided WebKit view?

Mark Nongkhlaw

I'm not aware of any Rhomobile webkit view for WP. Is there one?

I changed the meta tag to IE=10 'coz I seen somewhere after googling a bit that IE10 was the version for WP8 (and that was what worked before the upgrade). But it didn't work. IE11 seems to be the version for WP8.1 but I'm not too sure. I'll try with meta IE=edge next week, though from what you're saying, I doubt it'll work.

I still have not been able to find any info on changes in IE from WP8 to WP8.1 vis-a-vis jqm.

Not sure what view engine Rho folks are using, looks like very few apps have been built for WP using Rho. I wonder how many WP Rho apps are there in the Store.

WP was low priority under Moto. The fact that Zebra launched 2 new tablets (ET50/55) which can be booted to WP/Android and upgraded to WP10 tells me there is some hope that the support would be improved, but these are enterprise devices, so they might be coming with a proprietary view engine, something like Moto webkit for WM/CE, I'm not sure. Not having time to checkout their spec sheets..