Can I develop an app for the ES400 using the hybrid Cordova Framework?

// Expert user has replied.
E Esteban Rodriguez 2 years 11 months ago
2 1 0

First of all, a pleasure to meet you all.
I have a client who is interested in using the ES400 for local law enforcement duties, like giving fines and printing them on a mobile printer via bluetooth.
We have developed apps but mostly using the HTML Hybrid framework Cordova. Since the app the client needs is actually just data driven (with forms and perhaps taking pictures), is it possible to use Cordova for this or what is the recommended language required to create an app for this device? I understand it runs Windows Mobile 6.5.

I saw on the ES400's page that one of the suites used to develop for it is the Rhomobile suite but I have never used it and believe it would require additional investments in licensing that may be beyond the scope of the needs of my client. This is for a relatively small town.

Please register or login to post a reply

1 Replies

P Pietro Francesco Maggi

Hi Esteban,
Welcome to the Launchpad :-)

ES400 is a Windows Mobile (Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5.3) device and the Browser engine included in the OS is the mobile version of IE 6. Not something that you can easily use to build a Cordova application. And, as far as I know, there's no version of Cordova supporting Windows Mobile.
I think that, at this moment, RhoMobile is the only way to build hybrid application for Windows Mobile, using our own WebKit based HTML5 rendering engine or using mobile IE6 included in the OS.

The cost is no more a device license, like in the past, but it's a developer subscription. You can find more information on RhoMobile website and ask here for more information. Just note that the license is needed to target Windows Mobile devices, the free version is not enough.

Ciao
~Pietro

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?