4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2015 8:42 AM by Scott Bendure

Windows CE 5.0 emulator for MC9090

Scott Bendure

Hello,

Can anyone help with a CE 5.0 emulator using Visual Studio 2008 for app development on MC9090. 

Thank you!

• Re: Windows CE 5.0 emulator for MC9090
          Christopher Sather

There are no standard desktop emulators for Windows CE5 devices for the VS2005/VS2008 development environments like there are for Windows Mobile.

This is because Windows Mobile builds are standard and every build must contain the same components. Windows CE builds and the associated components vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and may vary even with the same vendor.

There are a few methods to still provide Windows CE5 desktop emulators.  See the attached doc I created in 2011 to see if it helps you at all.

Scott Bendure

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info.  Quick quesitons do we need to have your #1 method -  Microsoft CE 5.0 loaded in order to run your # 2 method?  My 64 bit windows 7 won't finish installing CE 5.0.  Just wondering if I need to setup an XP box or a virtual PC running XP.  Under my Program Files\ Microsoft Device Emulator \1.0.  Here is what I get running your # 2 method (again without successully installing the CE 5.0.

CMD_Screenshot.png

Thanks again for your help!

Christopher Sather

To be honest, I haven't tried it on 3 or 4 years, so I know I never did it on 64 bit.  Try on 32 bit.

What I also should have said, is that many have asked about emulation.  The bottom line is you really need to test on the device.  There is no way to do wlan, scanning, power, etc oin emulator.

Scott Bendure

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info.  Got it to work - so far - thank.  However it does not seem to kick off Windows Mobile Device Center (thinking it would find that in lieu of ActiveSync).   So not certain how to work with this emulation.

But I have another question - and will create a new post if that might be more appropriate.  We have SQL CE running with the C# program on the MC9090.  Do you know if there is a way to package the CE emulator with the compact SQL for testing outside of a machine with VS2008 on it? (Like for sending a demo to a customer).  The exe program runs fine until it attempts to write to the database since it can't find it.  We figured theres maybe a way to package or copy this to the bin files  We also put an on/off button on the screen to enable / disable the scanner. 

Thanks again for the great help.  I know this device and CE 5.0 ar getting a bit out dated. It's just we have a fleet of these units and trying to update some older programs and make them more useful for a variety of applicaitons.

Have a nice Thanksgiving weekend!