17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2016 12:32 PM by Pietro Francesco Maggi

EB IP-Adress of connected Access Point

Michael Ahnemann

Is it Possible with the current Enterprise Browser to get the IP-Adress that i'm connect to with the CE Device?

I Need this Information for one Customer before i can Migrate from Naurtec CETerm to the better Enterprise Browser.

• Re: EB IP-Adress of connected Access Point
          Sunil Kumar

Hi Michael,

Please check if the SignalIndicator feature of Enterprise Browser solves your problem.

WLANStatus method callback provides a lot of WLAN information.

Doc Link

Enterprise Browser 1.3

Pls check and let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Thanks

Sunil

Michael Ahnemann

Hi Sunil,

thanks for the prompt answer. I think this is what i search for, but we only use windows CE Terminals and the function doesn't work there.

Is there something that works on Windows CE?

Joydeep Chakraborty

Hi Michael,

Are you using Webkit or IE version of EB?

Please note wlanstatus will not work for IE version of EB.

You have to use Backward compatibility APIs for the same to work it on IE version.

Please find a sample below to work it on IE.

Regards,

Joydeep

<html>

<head>

<META HTTP-Equiv="signal" Content="Left:50;Iconposition:Top;GraphPosition:Left;Top:50;signalevent:url('Javascript:OnSignal('%s','%s','%s','%s','%s','%s','%s','%s','%s','%s','%s');');color:#FF0000;visibility:visible">

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

function OnSignal(signal, ESSID, MAC, AdapterName, DHCPServer, DHCPStatic, Gateway, IPAddress, RSSI, SubnetMask, Wins)

{

sig.innerHTML = "Signal: " + signal

+ "<BR>ESSID:" + ESSID

+ "<BR>MAC: " + MAC

+ "<BR>AdapterName: " + AdapterName

+ "<BR>DHCPServer: " + DHCPServer

+ "<BR>DHCPStatic: " +  DHCPStatic

+ "<BR>Gateway: " + Gateway

+ "<BR>IPAddress: " + IPAddress

+ "<BR>RSSI: " + RSSI

+ "<BR>SubnetMask: " + SubnetMask

+ "<BR>Wins: " + Wins

return;

}

</SCRIPT>

</head>

<body>

<BR><BR>

<H2>SignalEvent</H2>

<BR>

<DIV ID="sig">Signal details should appear here</DIV>

<BR>

</body>

</html>

Michael Ahnemann

Hi Joydeep,

we are using the Webkit Engine. EB verion 1.3 with Webkit Engine on Windows CE 6.0 Hardware.

The Example is working but it doesn't give me the IP-Adress from the Access Point i'm connected to that i need.

Rajiv Kumar Kashyap

Hi Michael,

I have tested on EB version 1.3 with Webkit Engine on windows CE 6 9190 device.

I am seeing the correct IP-Address from the connected access point.

One suggestion,please do check whether device is connected with the correct Access point or not.

You can check this in Wireless Status->IPv4 Status->IP Address ,check here whether this is the correct IP Address from which you have connected or not.

Thanks,

Rajiv

Michael Ahnemann

Hi Rajiv,

thanks for the Replay. IP-Adress only display the IP-Adress from my CE Device . I need the MAC-Adress or IP-Adress that the Access Point has, that i'm connected to.

The Information the Script gives me are alle correct. But the Information i need isn't there.

We use this to decide the Floor of the Building the Device is used in and for that i need the MAC-Adress or the IP-Adress from the Access Point i'm connected to.

Rajiv Kumar Kashyap

Hi Michael,

Default gateway is the different Access point your devices are connected.

Thanks,

Rajiv

Michael Ahnemann

Hi Rajiv,

Default Gateway is the Default Gateway from my Network. It can be the same as the Default Gateway but that is not possible for Companys with many Access Points. There is only one Gateway for all CE devices but many Access Point with differten MAC-/IP-Adresses. I test it here. We here in my company have only one Default Gateway but more than one Access Point and the Gateway is the Firewall here.

I say it again. Inside the results from the test Script from Joydeep is no Point where the Access Point IP-Adress or MAC-Adress is listet. The Information are all there and the are all correct but there is'nt the Information i need so i can switch from Naurtech CETerm to Enterprise Browser.

Sunil Kumar

Hi Michael,

There is no separate property to retrieve and show Access Point IP Address in Enterprise Browser.

Does Naurtech offer this feature as you have stated that this is preventing your Naurtech to EB migration. Please let me know.

Thanks

Sunil

Michael Ahnemann

Hi Sunil,

thanks for the reply. Naurtec doesn't have this built in too. But Naurtech allows to run an external Application Syncron with JavaScript. We use old Psion Teklogix Terminals there and Psion give an Library with one function to Read the MAC-Adress adress from the Access Point i'm connected to. We make a Program that use the Library, read the MAC-Address and write it to the Registry. With Naurtec we can Run the Program Syncron and then read the Key from the Registry all with JavaScript. That is not the best Solution but it Works.

I hoped Enterprise Browser have that function to read that data directly. And now that we use better Motorola / Zebra Terminals (MC92) we can't use the Library anymore if the need new Terminals.

Hope there is a way for future Version to Support something like this.

Pietro Francesco Maggi

Hi Michael,

The same is possible with Enterprise Browser.

Depending on which device you're targeting, you can build an external application that write the AP's MAC Address in the registry and then retrieve it from JavaScript.

I know of a partner that implemented exactly this behaviour on our SB1 with a small C application an Zebra's EMDK for C (using the WiFi Fusion Driver API).

I can dig up more information if you need and check with the partner if he's ok to share what he implemented.

~Pietro

Mike Thaemlitz

Hi all,

is  there a way for this function in a future release of EB?