Hardware keyboard detection on MC92

T Tomas Krasny 2 years 10 months ago
29 2 0

Hello,
I'm having a problem with detecting hardware keyboard on device Motorola (Symbol) MC92N0 (MC92 platform).

All information about keyboard I'm getting from Android class Configuration - fields keyboard, keyboardHidden and hardKeyboardHidden. The value of keyboard field describes the kind of keyboard attached to the device and is set to KEYBOARD_NOKEYS constant (meaning the device has no hardware keys for text input).

Is there any way how to detect presence of the hardware keyboard? Because the hardware keyboard is not exactly "qwerty" but goes from A to Z row by row, is that the reason that the field keyboard is set to KEYBOARD_NOKEYS? The keyboard itself works as usual.

I am getting following values of fields related to keyboard:
keyboard -> KEYBOARD_NOKEYS
keyboardHidden -> KEYBOARDHIDDEN_NO
hardKeyboardHidden -> HARDKEYBOARDHIDDEN_YES

I am getting the same values on Samsung Galaxy S4 (only software keyboard).

The device is running Android 4.4.4.
Keyboard item in Settings/About device/Hardware config/Keyboard says "53-keys".

Best regards,
Tomas Krasny

Please register or login to post a reply

2 Replies

T Tomas Krasny

Ok, I was going through Settings on MC92 again and I haven't noticed that in Language&Input section it is possible to tap on Default (saying English US keyboard) which opens another window with HW keyboard ON/OFF switch. After switching to ON the hw keyboard is detected as expected.

V Vedsatx Saddvv

Hello Tomas,  It seems that the android API's don't report the MC92 correctly, It might be best to open a ticket with zebra support to see if this is a known issue and possibly a work around.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?