Windows Embedded Compact 7 - connect USB as storage device? (urgent request)

// Expert user has replied.
K Keith Fearnley 3 years ago
287 4 0

Hi, sorry for this dual post, but I need a quick answer (end of today!).
If I connect a Windows Embedded Compact 7 device (MC3200) to a Windows 7 (or later) PC that does NOT have Mobile Device Center installed, does it (or can it) present its storage as a normal USB device, e.g. mounted as a new drive letter similarly to an Android device or USB stick, etc?
I have a worry that CE/Embedded Compact doesn't do this, but I need it to (partly since MDC on Windows 7 is not supported by Microsoft, so need another, secure, way to connect an MC3200).

How do folks generally talk to their Embedded Compact devices?

Thanks for any help,
Keith

Please register or login to post a reply

4 Replies

V Vedsatx Saddvv

I would suggest an Ethernet cradle.

I don't have an MC32,  but my MC92 CE7 device has an option to use mass storage.  Settings/Control Panel/USB Config/Usb Client mode tab/Mass Storage.  Gives you the option to select Platform or Application.  I just tried it with my Win 7 PC and a Win 10 PC and it works.  When this is connected,  the device has no access to the folder though,  so the app would not be able to read or write to \application for instance while the device is in the cradle.  If that's an issue,  this might also work with an SD card,  but I have not tried that.

K Keith Fearnley

Unfortunately the client won't allow the devices on the network, because they cannot apply their corporate lock-down and patch regime, etc. So they are insisting on them only having USB connectivity.

However, that's great news about the mass storage operation, many thanks for trying that Dan. Looks like that will work for us for this client, then.

Really appreciate the help and effort there - have a great weekend!

Regards,
Keith

P Pietro Francesco Maggi

Hi Keith,
if you don't have MDC available I think your best option is to use an SDCard to move data from the PC to the device.

Another option would be installing a small FTP server on the device and move the file having it connected to the same WiFi network. Depending on the use case, this may be more convenient.

Ciao
~Pietro

K Keith Fearnley

Thanks for the suggestions.
This needs to be used by end users (think warehouse operatives), so removing the SD card to do each download isn't suitable.
The client won't allow the devices on the network, so networked cradle and wi-fi are both out.
They won't allow MDC as Microsoft have told them that it isn't supported under Windows 7 and later.

So I really need to get one connected without MDC and without it getting network access - if it mounts as storage that would seem to be ideal.

Does everyone really use either network (wi-fi/networked cradle) or MDC on PC?

Cheers,
Keith

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?