17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2016 7:58 AM by TsuBeng Tan

CS4070 in SPP mode

Klaus Heim

I want to use the CS4070 in SPP mode. Does anybody know how to use this scanner in SPP mode? My Android App works well with LXE or Datalogic scanners but not with CS4070.

• Re: CS4070 in SPP mode
          TsuBeng Tan

Hi Klaus,

To configure the Scanner in SPP mode, please scan the SPP Configuration barcode in Product Reference Guide-Page 45:

https://atgsupportcentral.motorolasolutions.com/content/emb/docs/manuals/MN000762A04a.pdf

Besides, you could try to connect with HID mode and see if this work well.

Thanks.
          Tsu Beng

Klaus Heim

Hi Tsu Beng,

the firmware installed is

Version=PAACHS00-004-R00B1

BT version=TAACHS00-003-R00

SE version=PAABLC20-001-R01

Serial number=14360522501633

Model=CS4070

I tried to use SPP and/or HID mode. But both modes doesn't work. The only mode that works is SSI mode with the "android_scanner_sdk_demo_v1.0.19.0". Where can I get an other firmware for this scanner?

Thanks

Klaus

TsuBeng Tan

Hi Klaus,

CS4070 Firmware can be obtained via support portal:

https://portal.motorolasolutions.com/Support/US-EN/Resolution?solutionId=97774&productDetailGUID=646dcf68f3e67410VgnVCM1… 

I think your scanner is on latest firmware.

Just to double confirm your steps for HID pairing are correct,there are pairing examples in Product Reference guide start from page 206 onward.

Did you test with other 3rd party Android application? such as Bluetooth spp tools pro - Android Apps on Google Play  ?

If above does not work, could you provide me your Android device OS version?
                  Do you have any other same OS Android Devices that manage to work with CS4070?

Thanks.
                  Tsu Beng.

Klaus Heim

Hi TsuBeng,

yes, my scanner uses the latest FW. I updated the firmware. With the old firmware I tested the scanner in HID on my Mac. The new firmware will not operate on mac in HID.

I've downloaded the Bluetooth spp tools pro and tested the app. CS4070 will not operate in SPP mode. After pairing, when I connect the scanner I got an "SPP communication error". Pairing/Connection in SSI mode works. In this mode I can read an barcode. It seems, that in this mode the scanner needs an acknowledgment. I did not know the communication protocol of SSI mode. The scanner send the barcode with some additional control bytes.

My android device is an Motorola MotoE2(4G-LTE). Hardware SKU XT1524, Android 5.0.2 Kernel 3.10.49-g1234414, Systemversion 22.46.2.surnia_vfeu.vfeuall.en.EU vfit, Build-Number LXI22.50-62.2.

I also tested the CS4070 on an LG device with no luck. My App which I used to test the scanners is installed on the LG and Motorola device. The LXE and datalogic scanners works out of the box with both devices in SPP mode.

Regards

Klaus

TsuBeng Tan

Hi Klaus,

I just did a quick test on SPP mode woth Android Phones(KitKat:4.4 & Lollipop:5.0).
                          And it does works.
                          The apps I used is Bluetooth SPP Pro tools from Google Playstore.

My Steps as below:

1)Factory default CS4070 by Scanning Reset Factory Defaults barcode at page 40.
                          2)Configure CS4070 in SPP mode by Scanning Bluetooth SPP barcode at page 45.

3)Run the Bluetooth SPP apps and scan for devices in Mobile phones.

4)Select CS4070 and then click Pair.

5)After pairing successful with Beep, click connect and select Byte stream Mode.
                          6)Start Scanning Barcode and it will appear in the apps.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Tsu Beng

Pietro Maggi

Hi Klaus,

you can find Guides and Downloads on our support website:

https://portal.motorolasolutions.com/Support/US-EN/Mobile+Networks+RFID+and+BarCode+Scanners/Bar+Code+Scanning/General+P…

I think that the latest FW version available on our website is the one implementing HID for the CS4070.

I'm not sure about SPP as I don't have one of those to make any test.

Ciao

~Pietro

Klaus Heim

Hi Pietro,

yes, I'm using the latest FW. May be this version does not support SPP and HID? With the original FW I can use the scanner in HID on my Mac. After upgrade to the latest FW I can not use HID on Mac.

I want to use the scanner with my App in SPP mode. SPP mode never workes as expected.

Regards

Klaus