6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2017 7:52 AM by Bernie Hunt

Printer Selection When Web Printing With ZPL

Bernie Hunt

I have a decent number of Zebra printers that are all network based and I'm moving my printing methods from .Net Report Viewer to ZPL. The application is intranet based, so the print request will be coming from the server. Obviously then printer selection has to be done at the server level.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to best set up workstation to printer associations in this type environment?

My first thought is to maintain a database table of all the printers in the system and then make associations between workstation IDs and the printers they use. Then a simple database call before printing gives me the information. This is straight forward but I want to make sure I'm not missing a better way.

Thanks,

Bernie

PS: Thanks for all the tips on direct ZPL to the printer, its works much better than trying to go though windows!

• Re: Printer Selection When Web Printing With ZPL
          Gregory Pawlik

Hi Bernie,

If the IP addresses on your printers are static, then I think your solution is fine.

If they are running DHCP, you’ll have to take into consideration updating you data base with the most current IP address of the printers and have them associated with a unique ID of the printer such as its MAC address.

Greg

Bernie Hunt

I'm working in a .net environment, so resolving host names to IPs isn't a problem.

Currently all printers have fixed IPs, but I'm starting to think about releasing the to DHCP and address them by host name only. I just got another Zebra in for a new project, I'll have to play with it and see if I can get to the Host name.

Thanks,

Bernie

Bernie Hunt

Unfortunately Zebra printers don't support host names. So there is no way to find them if they are DHCP. I was very disappointed that Zebra tech support didn't even know what was a host name. I really don't think Zebra if really committed to the network market.

Bernie

Robin West

Hi Bernie,

Sorry tech support was not helpful, as well as being misinformed.  We do support host names. I can't guarantee all our older printers support them, but Link-OS printers do.  By default, these are either set to an empty string or set to the same string as the serial number of the printer.  DHCP can set a hostname in the standard way. To directly read the current host name from the printer, send the following:

! U1 getvar "interface.network.active.dhcp_received_host_name"\r\n

We are constantly working to improve our network capability by introducing new protocols and Wi-Fi radios to the printers. I hope this is helpful.

Robin

Bernie Hunt

My current project is with TLP 2824 Plus that we purchased last week. We also have a bunch of GK420ts. Are these older?

If not, where do I set the host name? Right now DHCP show a "Name" for the printer a serialNumber.outdomain.com. But a ping with a -a option doesn't return a host name.

Bernie Hunt

Robin,

After further investigation I found an issue. One a windows network, when a device requests an IP address from DHCP, it also requests that it be listed in DNS. Apparently my printers are not making that "add to DNS" request. So they are not listed in DNS and thereby not pingable. In Windows Server 2012 there is an option in DHCP to "Dynamically update DNS records for DHCP clients that do not request updates (for example, clients running Windows NT4.0)." I enabled that option, deleted the DHCP lease for the ip, cycled power on the printer, and flushed dns on the workstation; now I can ping the printer by host name both simple and fully resolved.

I'm listing this because I've seen multiple references to people having problems addressing DHCP addressed Zebra printers.

My only question remaining is how to set the Host name if I want it to be something different?

Bernie