MC40/Android System Permissions?

// Expert user has replied.
M Matt Laser 3 years ago
51 2 0

While I've seen several people on these forums mention that rooting isn't recommended (and in fact it's infeasible for my use case), I am wondering if there are ways to use "system" permissions in our applications. For instance, I'd like to be able to silently install packages, or even reboot the device. These are permissions available to System apps.

While I've had no luck, we do use Airwatch to manage our devices, and those applications (one way or another) DO manage to do things like silently install applications. Airwatch also kills non-whitelisted apps as well (unless that's using the MC40's built in whitelisting?). I'm wondering how this is being accomplished. Is there a way my application could do similar things?

While I understand the principles behind the application sandboxes and permissions, I can't understand why rugged, enterprise devices are constrained by the same bounds as consumer devices from Zebra's perspective.

Please register or login to post a reply

2 Replies

P Pietro Francesco Maggi

Hi Matt,
This is the exact reason why we created our EMDK for Android: to make available action that are usually not allowed on Android OS, from the simple "change the date and time" to more complex stuffs like silent install of an APK or update the OS.

You can find more information about the EMDK on the documentation website.

Feel free to ask any question on this discussion forum.

Ciao
~Pietro

H Hector Meza

Matt, rooting of a Zebra device is not made available due to security reasons.  That being said, what you are looking to do is made available via the EMDK and the Stage Now application.  Take a look at both, as these options should cover everything you are looking to do.

H

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?