Installing/Configuring a ZD500

Its not that I haven't done this before, but every now and then when I connect my ZD500 to my Windows machine and try to use the Zebra Setup Utilities, I don't see an installed printer. Now thats an inconvenience but I don't mind reinstalling another instance. It gets too bad here because most of the time my installation doesn't work either. For example right now, I have been trying to Install ZD500 203dpi zpl. I start the utilities and go all the way till it asks me to plug the printer into the PC. I do that and nothing happens. It should "automatically install" the printer but it doesn't. I even try to manually install it, selecting the correct printer (I tried both zpl and epl option out of desperation even though I know the printer is zpl), and then 1 of the 4 USB port option it gives me (I tried each of the 4 ports, no luck).

Every time I get a Cannot add language monitor error

and my Zebra utilities show no printer.

Can you please suggest what I am doing wrong? Why doesn't and installation done once persist and why is it failing when i try again now?

I use Zebra setup utilities version v1.1.9.1158

Gregory Pawlik
Hi Aditya,Does your printer

Hi Aditya,

Does your printer appear in your "Devices and Printers" folder?

Greg

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Aditya Garg
Hi GregYes it does, but under

Hi Greg

Yes it does, but under “Unspecified” category

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Gregory Pawlik
Aditya,Please take a look at

Aditya,

Please take a look at the following Zebra Knowledgebase Article:

Zebra Technologies - ZebraDesigner Driver Unspecified or Unknown Device Error or Not Communicating with Windows 7 and Wi…

Hope this helps.

Greg

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Aditya Garg
Hi GregThanks for pointing

Hi Greg

Thanks for pointing out this article. Throws light on things I wasn’t aware of earlier.

That said, it did not solve my issue. I realized every time I start my zebra setup utilities (say to configure a different wifi network), something is clashing and my print spooler service shuts off. Restarting it doesn’t help, it stays up for a few seconds, and goes off again. Spooler works just fine when there is no Zebra setup utility running. Due to spooler shutting off, even installed zebra printers don’t show up in the setup utilities list of printers. Any suggestion regarding this?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Gregory Pawlik
Aditya,Have you tried

Aditya,

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Zebra Setup Utilities?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Aditya Garg
Multiple timesReinstalling

Multiple times

Reinstalling zebra setup utilities, reinstalling the zdesigner software (including going into my system’s print management and cleaning all zebra printers and driver), but nothing works

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Aditya Garg
Greg can you offer any more

Greg can you offer any more suggestions?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Gregory Pawlik
Aditya,Do you have the latest

Aditya,

Do you have the latest version of firmware on the printer?

If not, the latest version is V74.19.15Z that can be downloaded here:

Support & Downloads for the ZD500 Desktop Printer | Zebra

Since you are having issues with the USB connection, try connecting the printer with either a parallel or null modem serial cable to your PC.

Then copy the the firmware file directly to the parallel or serial port that the printer is connected to.

The updated firmware may allow for the printer to be properly discovered by Windows.

Greg

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’