5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2016 12:54 PM by Jens Hauser

MC55A: Debugging C++ application extremely slow/ > 5sec per debug line

Jens Hauser

Hi,

I have a big issue with debugging on a MC55A device which we recently received from a customer for migrating our software:

I'm trying to debug a native code C++ application with Visual Studio 2008. For every debug step it takes about 5 to 10 seconds to step the code.

If I use a different device (i.e. Workabout Pro 4 or even a really old one like Intermec 700 series) it takes < 1 second to debug the same line of code.

Does anybody know of such an issue?

• Windows 7
      • VS 2008, all SPs/ Patches available installed (I hope ;-)
      • Alle devices are attached to the same USB port
      • MC55A with Windows Mobile 6.5 Classic (CE OS 5.2.29344), Symbol MC55A OEM Version 4.47.0010

I experience the same problem with only one other device and haven't found out about the issue so far (it's a device with Windows CE 6.0).

Kind regards,

Jens Hauser

• Re: MC55A: Debugging C++ application extremely slow/ > 5sec per debug line
          Hayden Eastman

is the issue specific to the application you are attempting to debug?  Have you tried one of the sample apps from our EMDK?  You can download the EMDK for C here: https://portal.motorolasolutions.com/Support/US-EN/Resolution?solutionId=97037&redirectForm=search&searchQuery=%3Fsearch…

is your desktop 32bit or 64bit?

what version of WMDC are you using?

Jens Hauser

Dear Hayden,

thank you very much for your answer.

The issue seems not to be specific to my solution which I'm trying to debug as my colleague experiences the same issue with another PC using VS 2008 but developing a different project with a different type of code (he uses managed code C#/ Smartdevice Project and I'm using/debugging a native code solution).

But I guess I got some more information: It looks like restart of the PC sometimes solves the problem. But sometimes the problem persists. Even a hibernation and afterwards a wake up seems to resolve the problem from time to time.

And: It looks like we have another device which shows the same problem: With an Casio IT-9000 (Win CE 6) I have the same issue BUT it's always slow while debugging! No possibility to solve it by simply rebooting.

I thought of an USB issue with the development computer but the problem exists on different development computers. :-(

Kind regards,

jens

Daniel Silva

VS will try to debug over the wireless connection if it can.  For this to work correctly both the developer machine and the device would need to be on the same wireless network.  Might the device be having connectivity issues on the wireless side?   Also,  even if it is just using USB,  the connection looks like a network connection,  so you might be having some kind of firewall issue.

Jens Hauser

Thank you for following up!

I tried to figure out what I can change to speed up debugging. The following is changed while connected to an IT-9000 from C*sio because this device is most of the time extremely slow with debugging ...

First of all I deactivated WiFi

Then I changed settings within VS2008 Tools - Options - Device Tools - Devices IT-9000 Device - Properties:

There is only TCP Transport available which I configured in different ways (fixed port number 5655; obtain IP address automatically by ActiveSync; specific IP) - with no real change. Debugging is quite slow. One "simple" step needs about 2 to 3 seconds.

I also checked local Windows Firewall: It's a domain firewall configured by GPO which I cannot change so easily (there are tons of Windows Mobile Device Center configurations in there). I will try with a different computer where I can disable Windows Firewall and get back then.

Thanks so far!

Jens Hauser

I figured out what speeds up debugging: The usual way for debugging involves connecting a mobile device by using an USB cradle. With this Active Sync (Mobile Device Center) connects with the device and debugging can be started.

But: If there is also a wireless connection to the network where the debugging pc is connected to debugging is really slow.

If I disable WiFi power on the mobile device and then reconnect the device with the USB cradle everything is fine and debugging is really fast.

This applies only to some devices. With a Workabout 3, Workabout and some other devices I do not have this issues. I can leave WiFi enabled/ network connected and connect by USB without any speed impacts.

Thank you very much for your help!