3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2016 5:24 AM by Dan Silva

Controlling Scanner Indicator LED Bar Programmatically

Chase Carlile

I'm programming an app for the MC92N0 handheld, and I have a business requirement to use the indicator bar to alert the user that something has happened on the server that needs attention.  A red flashing light would indicate an urgent issue.  An amber light would be a warning, etc.  Is this possible? 

From what I've found so far, those lights are used for charging status and scanner status (not scanning, successful decode).

I'm currently using the Xamarin component, but I could possibly create a new binding if it's something that's in an excluded namespace.

• Re: Controlling Scanner Indicator LED Bar Programmatically
          Dan Silva

You can use the standard Android notification APIs.  Take a look here. 

android - How to have LED Light Notification? - Stack Overflow

I tried this code, and it does work,  but as mentioned in the post,  it will only light up the LEDs if the screen is off.

private void testNotification() {

Notification.Builder builder = new Notification.Builder(this);

builder.setSmallIcon(R.mipmap.ic_launcher)

.setPriority(Notification.PRIORITY_HIGH)

.setOngoing(true);

builder.setLights(0xff00ff00, 300, 100);

NotificationManager manager = (NotificationManager) getSystemService(NOTIFICATION_SERVICE);

manager.notify(1, builder.build());

}

Chase Carlile

Thank you.  I'll play around with that then. I'm assuming the scanner's beeping noise would also be controlled through the Android api?

Dan Silva

You can add a sound to your notification. If you add one line as I have done below,  it will play the default notification sound.  If you want that sound to be the scanner beep,  you can go into settings/sound and set the default notification sound to "Decode".

private void testNotification() {

Notification.Builder builder = new Notification.Builder(this);

builder.setSmallIcon(R.mipmap.ic_launcher)

.setPriority(Notification.PRIORITY_MAX)

.setSound(Settings.System.DEFAULT_NOTIFICATION_URI)

.setOngoing(true);

builder.setLights(0xff00ff00, 300, 100);

NotificationManager manager = (NotificationManager) getSystemService(NOTIFICATION_SERVICE);

manager.notify(1, builder.build());

}