7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2016 7:19 AM by r.venderbosch@tis-gmbh.de

How to set a StageNow port

William Sharp

I have StageNow working from my MC40 Android Kit Kat handheld. However each time I run through the staging process it appears to attempt to pick a random port from 16,000 - 60,000 to connect to the StageNow server. If I open that block of ports on the StageNow server, then the process works fine, but I'd rather not have all of those ports open. Is there a way to limit the port range it uses?

Thanks!

• Re: How to set a StageNow port
          William Sharp

Bump.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ian Hatton

Hi,

Not sure what could be happening on your server - the connection between the client and server should only use port 21 (FTP) and this port number is included in the staging profile so would not change each time the profile is scanned. If you block all ports apart from 21, does it still work ?

Best Regards,

Ian Hatton

Zebra EMEA

William Sharp

If I block all ports except 21 I get the following message:

Screenshot_2016-11-14-09-23-26[1].png

Every time I run the stage I will get a similar message, just with a different port.

--

William Sharp

r.venderbosch@tis-gmbh.de

FTP uses a second data connection to actually transfer data (file contents or directory listing).

Port 21 on server side is used only for the control connection from the FTP client to the FTP server.

So you definitely need a second port, both on client and server side.

The number of the server port for the data connection and which side opens the connection to the negotiated port on the other side is dynamically negotiated between the client and the server. It depends on the mode: "active" or "passive".

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          William Sharp

Richard,

That makes sense. Is there any way to limit this range? I know I could do something similar in say FileZilla Server.

--

William Sharp

r.venderbosch@tis-gmbh.de

In active mode the FTP client tells the FTP server on which port on the FTP client side the FTP server should open the data connection socket to transfer data between them. Please note: the FTP server connects to the FTP client !!

In passive mode the FTP server tells the FTP client on which port on the FTP server side the FTP client should open the data connection socket to transfer data. Both connections are initiated by the FTP client.

So in active mode, only the FTP client has influence on the port range for the data connection.

And in passive mode, only the FTP server has influence on the port range for the data connection.

All this is general FTP behaviour and is not a property of StageNow.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      Ian Hatton

Just checking - are you using the StageNow 2.4 hotspot mode ? Also, can you export your profile (using the Export for StageNow function) and attach it to this thread ?