Is it possible to read a rfid label's TID without feeding the label

I have a ZT410 printer and I have an application that requires me to read an EPC Gen2 tag's TID to the host computer and then print the same label. The computer will do some heavy processing (including querying our ERP database) and then print and encode the label with data related to that TID that was read before.

My problem is that I could not find a way to just read the TID without feeding the label that should later be printed.

I'm trying to read the TID using the following ZPL commands:

^XA

^RS8

^RFR,H,0,8,2^FN1^FS^HV1,,TagData:[,],L^FS

^XZ

Is there a way to read the RFID data without feeding a label or to rewind one label before printing?

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi Mauricio, Unfortunately

Hi Mauricio,

Unfortunately you are correct that there is no way at this time to read the TID prior to encoding.  The ZPL Manual shows how to encode the TID into the tag data and send it back to your host after encoding, but not before.  We have been working with the product team to try and find ways around this limitation, but so far have not found any way.  

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Siong Po Sim
Hi, i met the same problem in

Hi, i met the same problem in my development. I need to read the TID first prior to do the encoding because TID is being used to calculate the Access Password.

After read TID, calculate Access Password, then only we encode the Tag new EPC, UserData and Access Password..

is ZT410R still not able to do this?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Currently, ZT410R doesn't

Currently, ZT410R doesn't have the capability you've described. To achieve this capability, we would need a custom-built firmware, so that the printer would park the RFID tag at the RFID sensor on the printer. And the printer waits for the instruction from the host - read, encode & print label, etc.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Francois Doucet
We also need to do the same

We also need to do the same thing : Read the UID (or TID), then print the label. Any idea when this feature will be available ?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
This feature is currently

This feature is currently only available to the ISV partners in Zebra Partner Connect ISV Program. We are collecting the feedback from the ISV partners who use this feature in their solutions. Once we have adequate feedback, we will then decide whether to make this feature available in the standard release. If you are already in Zebra Partner Connect ISV Program, you may request a special build of the firmware for your particular printer(s) through the channel in ISV program.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Jan Rychter
We have the same requirement

We have the same requirement and we are an ISV partner. How do I request that special build?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’