No GS1 Code ID from RS6000

L Larry Molter 2 years 11 months ago
2 1 0

With our hand-held 2D scanner (ds6878) we rely on the code ID character to tell us if we have scanned a GS1 DataMatrix (code P0G) or a GS1 QR barcode (P0Q). The special code IDs tell our custom software to invoke a GS1 decoder on the incoming barcode value. Given that, our distribution warehouse wants to move to ring scanners. Fine. The rs6000 seemed to fit the bill; however, although it will read GS1 DataMatrix and GS1 QR, there are no special code IDs for these barcodes. Receiving a 'P00' or a 'P01' doesn't really help us because there is no foolproof way to determine if the incoming value is GS1-encoded (the parentheses in the human readable text is not encoded into the barcode). Why the omission?

Larry Molter
CCS Medical Inc.

Please register or login to post a reply

1 Replies

L Larry Molter

I'll answer my own question. Unlike the hand-held 2D scanners we have, the RS6000 does not distinguish between DataMatrix and GS1 DataMatrix (same for QR) barcodes. This appeared to be a show-stopper, but in reality, there is a work-around. If I tell the scanner to disable regular DataMatrix and QR and enable the GS1 versions for same, when I get a barcode identified as a DataMatrix or QR, it will only be the GS1 variety. So... never mind. Solved.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?