Image does not fit in the physical label when printing with TLP 2824 Plus on macOS

I am using a Zebra TLP 2824 Plus printer to print some labels on macOS Sierra(10.12.3).

I am using some physical labels of approximately 60mm x 30mm and I've configured Paper Size accordingly.

The available resolutions reported by the printer are 203 DPI, 300 DPI and 600 DPI.

I want to print an image of resolution 1208 × 637 px.

If I'm using the lowest printer resolution (203 DPI) the image fits inside the physical label, but the quality is very low (the edges are visibly jagged).

If I am using a higher resolution (600 DPI) only the top left corner of the image fits inside the physical label and the edges of the text are still jagged, even if I have selected the option to scale to fit the paper size.

Up: 600 DPI and Scale to fit paper size

Down: 203 DPI

When printing the same picture from a windows computer, the quality is way higher and the image fits correctly inside the physical label.

I am using CUPS, the default printing system on macOS and the printer is connected to an USB port.

The question is I am doing something when configuring or there's some issue with the driver on macOS?

Thank you in advance,

Nicu

Samantha Corn
Hi Nicu,When you are changing

Hi Nicu,

When you are changing the resolution, are you changing it both in the CUPS driver and on the device?

Also, when you print a test page, does it also have the issue with the jagged edges? Here's how to Print a Test Page if you've never done it.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Nicu Lare
     Hi Samantha,     I don't

Hi Samantha,

I don't really understand what you mean by changing the resolution on the device. I set the resolution in the print dialog, Printer Features section, as it's on the screenshot in the question, but I've tried changing also directly in CUPS, the result it's the same. Actually the value selected in CUPS is displayed by default in the print dialog, so it seems that the list of resolutions is read directly from the driver.

Regarding your second question, please find below a picture with the test pages of the printer, printed at different resolutions (up: 600 DPI, middle: 300 DPI and down: 203 DPI). So there's the same behaviour also with the printer test page as with the labels printed in the original question (jagged edges in low resolution, the content doesn't fit in high resolution).

20171219_103552.jpg

Thanks,

Nicu

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Samantha Corn
Hi Nicu,I reviewed the specs

Hi Nicu,

I reviewed the specs for the TLP 2824 Plus, and it is only equipped to print 203 dpi resolution, which is why changing the resolution had that effect. Since printing the test page yielded the same result, this seems to be an issue with how the CUPS driver processes these prints. I found a couple of posts from people with similar issues here, here, ​and here, but there doesn't seem to be a workaround other than using a higher resolution, which isn't an option with this printer.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’