8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2018 9:30 PM by ABHINEET AGARWAL

SIP Keyboard MC9n0 Enterprise Browser

David Garratt

My customer is moving from Symbol Pocket Browser 2.2 on MC909x scanners onto Enterprise Browser on MC9n0 scanners and are experiencing some compatibility issues.

I know they are using Windows but I'm not sure which flavour of Windows.

The main usability issue is the SIP keyboard which insists on appearing and covering up a significant proportion of the screen.

I have tried

<META HTTP-Equiv="SIP" Content="Manual">
      <META HTTP-Equiv="SIP" Content="Left:640;Top:0">

But they don't seem to have any effect ?

Am I missing something - can someone help ?

Dave

• Re: SIP Keyboard MC9n0 Enterprise Browser
          ABHINEET AGARWAL

Dear Dave,

The SIP module parameters i.e. left & top is not compatible with Finger Scrolling on Windows devices.

That means in EB Config.xml the ScrollTechnique config tag should not be set to FingerScroll. It should set to either Scrollbars or None but not FingerScroll when left and top parameters of SIP module is needed.

<Scrolling>

<ScrollTechnique VALUE="Scrollbars"/> //Or None when left and top parameters of SIP module is needed.

</Scrolling>

However, please note that there is no need to use SIP module parameters i.e. left and top if you want to display the keyboard manually at the bottom of the screen when focused on any input field.

You can do the following changes in EB Config.xml (present under "\Program Files\EnterpriseBrowser\Config\" location on WM/CE devices) without making any changes in server side code.

1. Set ResizeOnSIP EB Config tags value to 1. Used for controlling window resizing when the soft input panel (SIP, or on-screen keyboard) is displayed.

<SIP>

<ResizeOnSIP  value="1"/>

</SIP>

2.  Set SIP to appear manually can be done by modifying inside EB Config.xml or by modifying the HTML page.

a) Via EB Config.xml - Set SIP to appear manually using SIPButton on any input field on any page via DefaultMetaTags in EB Config.xml as shown in the below examples.

<DefaultMetaTags>

<MetaTag value="SIPButton~visibility:visible"/>

<MetaTag value="SIP~manual;"/>

</DefaultMetaTags>

OR

b) Via HTML Page - Set SIP to appear manually using SIPButton on any input field on any page by adding the meta tags in any HTML page as shown in the below examples.

<META HTTP-Equiv="SIPButton" Content="Visibility:Visible"/>

<META HTTP-Equiv="SIP" Content="Manual"/>

Note:

• SIPButton must be enabled and should be shown on EB screen when SIP is set to manual for any input field. SIPButton is used for displaying the SIP keyboard when SIP setting is set to manual.
          • If you want to display SIP automatically on any input field then there is no need to have SIPButton to be enabled and shown on the EB screen. One can directly set the SIP setting to automatic.

In case, if you have any further doubts, please do let us know, we will assist you on the same. For further support, I would request you to share us the EB Config.xml, Device platform details and the sample html page where you want to see the changes.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhineet Agarwal

Enterprise Browser Software Lead

David Garratt

OK - that sounds promising. I am going to have to find someone in the customers company who knows about the Config.xml and can provide me with a copy. Getting them to change it will be another hurdle.

David Garratt

Is there a help file .chm or specific document on the web which I can reference for the HTLM meta commands. My version must be old as I don't seem to have the following.

ABHINEET AGARWAL

Dear Dave,

Please refer the below EB documentation location:

For SIP Module refer this SIP Module - Zebra Technologies TechDocs

For SIPButton Module refer this SipButton Module - Zebra Technologies TechDocs

Thanks & Regards,

Abhineet Agarwal

Enterprise Browser Software Lead

David Garratt

Is the operation of these HTLM Meta tags dependent on the settings in Config.xml ?

Since I first emailed I have been given another problem with the new scanner - which is the habit of loosing its connection when left unattended for over a minute. I suspect it's something to do with power saving but the error message on screen offers a option to go "back" to the previous page which does not work - forcing the operator to reboot. Very time consuming.

ABHINEET AGARWAL

Dear Dave,

Sometimes Yes.

I generally enable the below tags in EB Config.xml i.e.

<UseRegularExpressions value="1"/>

Refer to EB UseRegularExpressions Config tag for more details.

I also sometimes preloads the plugins for better performance if using any such plugins in my application.

Refer to EB Preloads Config tag for more details.

Can you share me EB Config.xml at your end?

Regarding Scanner concern:

Before this, can you please let us know, if the previous concern is resolved w.r.t SIP on Windows devices? If yes, can you please mark the response as helpful whichever is appropriate.

Regarding Scanner issue, please raise the support ticket, we will assist you on the same. And also provide some of the below details?

1. On which device & platform this behavior is seen?
                            2. Can you please let me know whether the issue is seen when device is:

- Getting charged (OR)

- Not charging and the battery is low (OR)

- Not charging but battery is not low (OR)

- Irrespective of any above case

3.  Can you please share us the power profile setting details?

4.  Please share us the EB Config.xml, Sample Page and EB Log file when this issue is seen?

- Ensure to enable the below log settings in EB Config.xml before capturing the details in EB log file.

<Logger>

<LogProtocol   value="FILE"/>

<LogPort       value="80"/>

<LogURI        value="file://%INSTALLDIR%\Log.txt"/>

<LogError      value="1"/>

<LogWarning    value="1"/>

<LogInfo       value="1"/>   

<LogTrace      value="1"/>

<LogUser       value="0"/>

<LogMemory     value="1"/>

<LogMemPeriod  value="5000"/>

<LogMaxSize    value="500000"/>

</Logger>

5. Is the EB application running in Kiosk Mode? If yes, what are the other settings used other than enabling EB Full Screen Config tag for running the application in Kiosk Mode?

6. Any other information which is not known and related to this will be helpful.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhineet

David Garratt

How does this work compared to the other Meta commands.

Enterprise Keyboard - Zebra Technologies TechDocs

ABHINEET AGARWAL

Dear Dave,

This has no relation with Meta Commands.

In EB, the Enterprise Keyboard is a JavaScript API for programmatic access to Zebra's software keyboard (i.e. Zebra Enterprise Keyboard) and some of its settings. This is only applicable to Android devices with EKB 1.2 and later.

Note: EB Enterprise Keyboard JavaScript API will work if and only if Enterprise Keyboard(EKB) software (version 1.2 & above) is present in the device. EKB is just like Android default keyboard but with enterprise capabilities. Refer EKB documentation for more details.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhineet