5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2018 9:43 AM by Radwan Shaykho

How do Web Label Printers connect with code

Radwan Shaykho

Hello, Where can I find the web code for the label printers in the SDK and can I use the code to connect to all the 1700 printers we have at the company? Thank you Rad

• Re: How do Web Label Printers connect with code
          Robin West

Hi Rad,

For large printer installations like yours, we recommend connecting the printers to the network and managing print from your web server.  There are two different methods to do this.  If you are now or plan to in the future run the webserver from a cloud or hybrid cloud instance, you will want to use the WebServices library in the SDK.  This will allow you to connect the printers using websockets.  If the web app is internal only on your intranet, you can use the standard Java or .NET SDKs to make TCP connections to the printers.  Let us know if you want further direction,

- Robin

Radwan Shaykho

Hi Robin Thank you for your great advise!!! Yes we are on our intranet, but when I try to use the SDK .Net am not able to connect to all printers using TCP/IP.  Not sure why yet???? It could be many issues??? Any Ideas? Using the WebServices library from a server sounds very good as I need to collect all the status of the printers including number of prints. Do you have a video on webServices library I can use to learn more on it and deploy it? Thank you again Robin for your supper great support :) Rad

Robin West

Hi Rad,

Likely if you are not finding all the printers, it could be your network settings.  I have found using the Multicast() search to get around some the common network issues.  The FindPrinters() function tends to rely on LocalBroadcast() more than other searches and some networks block that. You may find it's timing out on you especially if the printers you are searching for are physically far away from your server.  You might try SubnetSearch() or DirectedBroadcast()  on your subnets to pull in everything.  You should be able to run these off of multiple threads.

For the webservices functionality, we unfortunately don't have a video.  It's a more complicated setup.  I recommend starting here.  Currently the only SDK we have to support this functionality is in Java and needs to run on a Tomcat server.  The API documentation for this SDK is here.  The SDK is included with the Link-OS SDK as well as a very basic sample code project.  It is not a true webservice, but can be built into one.

Let me know if this helps,

- Robin