3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2018 3:17 PM by Robin West

Link a 2D QR Code barcode to a text field

Rick Hinchcliff

I am not sure if this in possible, but I would like to somehow link a 2D QR barcode (dynamically) to a text box. This is so I don't have to copy from the text box properties editor and paste in the QR Code properties editor. I would like for the QR code to update with what is in the text box. Could someone help?

• Re: Link a 2D QR Code barcode to a text field
          Robin West

Hi Rick,

It is definitely possible but we need more info to direct you.

How are you scanning the barcode?  Which scanner or device are you using?  Did you write the app or are you asking about inputting text with an app you are just using?  Which OS are you using?

Rick Hinchcliff

Hi Robin,

Thank you for your reply. I suppose I should have been more clear on my intentions.

I am referring to the Zebra Designer label making capabilities. Upon creating a label within Zebra Designer, I want to customize the label in a way so that what I type in a text box, the QR Code Barcode will be changing at the same time with the same information as the textbox. Currently I must open the properties of the text box (select the text) copy and paste into the properties of the barcode. I am not using any app, only Zebra Designer installed on a Windows 7 PC. This PC is used to create labels in Zebra Designer “manually” with line by line typing inside “inserted” text boxes, barcodes and fields.

Regards,

Richard Hinchcliff

Quailty Engineer

Axium|Plastics

P:    614.706.5955

D:   614.421.7025   Ext.3333

C:   614.531.7812

E:   rhinchcliff@axiumplastics.com<mailto:rhinchcliff@axiumplastics.com>

W:  www.axiumplastics.com<http://www.axiumplastics.com/>

Robin West

Hi Rick, OK, I understand better now. 

Your best option is to use variable fields (text and barcode). It's the only real way to link two or more fields in a label.  Set the name of the field to be the same on both the text and barcode.  Then when you want to modify and print or preview, the designer will pop up with a text box for the variable field and you only have to enter the data once for it to link to both fields.

Does this sound like what you'r looking for?

Robin