Scanning a label and printing it on a GK420

Hi,

Wondering if there is an easy way to scan a 2D barcode and have it print that 2D barcode on a GK420 printer.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Tony.

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi Tony, Without external

Hi Tony,

Without external software, like the PrintStation app, you have two options,

1. You can encode the ZPL you want to print into the first barcode, but it wouldn't really be copying the original.

2. You can use ZBI. Zebra Basic Interpreter 2.0 | Zebra This is a method to put an app on a printer that will allow you to do this.  We have sample code I can share if you decide to go this direction.

Your easiest route is to have some basic software on the PC or MAC to create the label format for you.  You can use ZebraDesigner for the PC.  It has a way to add variable barcodes.  Then when you hit the print button for the label, a text box will pop up and you can scan the data from the first barcode into it.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Tony Hansberry
Thank you Robin for your help

Thank you Robin for your help.

I was hoping to use a ZBI app.

Would I need a PC connected permanently for this option?

Regards,

Tony.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Are you planning on attaching

Are you planning on attaching the scanner to the PC and the PC to the printer, or attaching the scanner directly to the printer?

If you go direct scanner to printer, you don't need a PC at all.  The printer ZBI script will act as the brain.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Tony Hansberry
Hi Robin,That is exactly what

Hi Robin,

That is exactly what I was hoping to do i.e. Scanner/Printer combo.

I will test out the attached file and I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks very much,

Regards,

Tony.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mike Ly
Hello Robin, After read your

Hello Robin, After read your post about the GK420D.  I am thinking to purchase one, but I have a few questions.

1. where can I get more info about how to install the ZBI to the printer.  do you have a demo or some sort of PDF file I can download.

2. Do I have to get a GK420D with a series Port or the USB Port is ok.

3. What kind of the handheld scanner it require.  USB or Series Port.

I am interesting in GK420D cuz I saw my friend have a GK420D to print food package label.  All he did is scan the 1st barcode for how many label, then scan the barcode item.  the printer shoot out the # of label he requests.

Thank you, Best regard

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Dmitry Prokhorov
Hello Mike,You don't need to

Hello Mike,

You don't need to install ZBI to your printer. Your printer needs to be a ZBI-ready printer. There is a list of compatible printers:

Zebra Basic Interpreter (ZBI) Support & Downloads | Zebra

See section "ZBI Downloads". Then you will need to purchase activation key(s) and activate ZBI in your printer in a following way:

https://www.zebra.com/content/dam/zebra/manuals/software/zebralink/using-zbi2-keymanager-en.pdf

In case you are going to attach scanner directly to your printer I believe you will need a printer and scanner with serial port. At the bottom of page 15 of GK420D User Manual you can read following text:

Note • Scanners, scales or other data input (terminal) devices must use the serial port (not the

USB port) to send data to the printer.

Dmitry Prokhorov

Software Engineer, Kutir Mobility

Posted on behalf of Zebra Technologies

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mike Ly
Thank you for the replay.  I

Thank you for the replay.  I already purchase the Zebra GK420D.  Do you have any serial scanner in mind, I try to looking at Amazon and unable to find one.  Try to find one with a reasonable price.  Thanks in advance.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Dmitry Prokhorov
Hello Mike,Seems Bluetooth

Hello Mike,

Seems Bluetooth connection between scanner and printer could be used also.

Dmitry Prokhorov

Software Engineer, Kutir Mobility

Posted on behalf of Zebra Technologies

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Tony Hansberry
Hi Robin,Would you be able to

Hi Robin,

Would you be able to send me the sample code for the ZBI option?

Thanks and Regards,

Tony.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
After you install

After you install ZebraDesigner, open the attached file.  Click File->Label Setup, select your printer, then click Finish.  Then click File->Print and it will prompt you to enter some data.  You should be able to scan your barcode, then hit print.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’