TC55 - Lock the TIME

We use the TC55's for timing on events.  We also have EHS running that locks the device down to itchy fingers and generally works well.

However what caught us out was someone switching off internet time and changing the date.. as you can imagine it really screwed things up for us!!  fortunately the issue was spotted and with a bit of a work times corrected.

Begs the question anyway of locking users out from tweaking date / time on the device.

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi James,I recommend looking

Hi James,

I recommend looking at the AccessManager and the ability to set 'Reduced Access' to 'System Settings Access'.  That should prevent your users from selecting Date/Time from the settings menu: Access Manager - Zebra Technologies Techdocs

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

James Thurlow
Darryn - Thanks so much, will

Darryn - Thanks so much, will get my head stuck in to that link and see if I can work it out.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

James Thurlow
Darryn - just trying to get

Darryn - just trying to get my head around adjusting settings in "Access Manager" in StageNow, when I enable restricted settings, it disables EHS as the home screen.  Does the job though.. just have to use stage now to get access back again.

Anything I can do to still be able to use EHS?Capture.JPG

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi James, you will need to

Hi James, you will need to add EHS as a whitelisted package, I am pretty sure it is com.symbol.enterprisehomescreen as well as the packages of anything else that needs to be whitelisted to run (those should already be in your EHS config).  I did create a post last year going over the different techniques for locking down your device including EHS and MX, it might be worth a read ( ) though it looks like some of the videos are missing following the redesign of the developer portal a few months back.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

James Thurlow
Darryn - thanks, spot on

Darryn - thanks, spot on information as ever.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

James Thurlow
Darryn - Sadly this is not

Darryn - Sadly this is not working.. users can just tap the time and it brings up the Date & time settings.  Whilst the settings menu is restricted you can still easily change the time.. thought had it there.

Kind of crucial for us but I suspect for many other users for these settings not to be changed.. hoping there is another way.

James

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi James,Where are users

Hi James,

Where are users tapping to bring up the date & time settings exactly?  I tried it on a TC55 I happened to already have configured with EHS and I remembered there is also a feature of EHS, system_settings_restricted which also prevents access to the settings,

I'm attaching my configuration here in case it helps.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

James Thurlow
Was hoping to insert video

Was hoping to insert video but the video insert thing doesn't like google photos..

but should be able to play this link  Video here

So its not in the settings menu more from pull down of top bar.

As you can imagine for a company that provides timing for events.. does kind of mess things up for us :-)

You would kind of hope people wouldn't do it.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Much clearer, thanks. 

Much clearer, thanks.  Because I had disable_statusbar_pulldown set to true in my EHS config I did not realise you could do that.  I see you have the messaging app in your video so presumably it is not an option for you to simply disable that notification bar pull down.  I am running out of ideas I'm afraid... perhaps one more thing to check is to specify com.android.settings under the apps_disabled tag of EHS (EHS Advanced Settings - Zebra Technologies TechDocs ) or disabling the settings app through the AppManager's DisableApplication action (App Manager - Zebra Technologies TechDocs ), though disabling settings entirely may cause other issues since most applications would depend on the Settings being available e.g. if the user tries to enable WiFi.

It seems this way of setting the time is not available on newer versions of Android, otherwise I would get it added to our feature backlog.

Failing all of the above, you might want to contact our tech support for more customized advice.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’