How to set up scanning a QR URL to Chrome - MC40

J Jason Lopez 3 years ago
139 2 0

Apologies in advance from a (frustrated) Zebra newbie.  I have an MC40 running Lollipop 5.1.1 and I have both the default Browser and Chrome installed.

What I want seems simple:

Press one of the hardware barcode scan buttons to scan a QR code set up for a particular URL
Chrome launches and goes to that URL

Do I need to set up a DataWedge intent to do this?  Should I first launch Chrome and scan from within Chrome?  I just can't get the scan button to scan anything except in DWDemo, and then that doesn't launch Chrome.

Am I overthinking this?

Please register or login to post a reply

2 Replies

V Vedsatx Saddvv

Hi, there is no way to do this directly from DataWedge because you would either have to set the mime type or parse the barcode as a URL before sending.  I would recommend creating an application on the device which can listen for the DataWedge intent and then call startActivity as described here: Is there any way in Android to force open a link to open in Chrome? - Stack Overflow

There is a tutorial for DataWedge that will help you get started listening for intents: DataWedge Intent Example - Zebra Technologies TechDocs

Yes, you could just scan the barcode in Chrome when the cursor is in the URL field but that would be less reliable - still it might be easier to set up - to achieve that you could just use DataWedge's Keywedge feature, Keystroke Output - Zebra Technologies TechDocs

J Jason Lopez

Thank you very much, Darryn, for the comprehensive explanation and answer.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?