Scandit and DataWedge together

Hi guys.

I have developed an Application with Xamarin Android using Scandit libraries.

It works fine (Scandit is a very good product).

Now I would like to add also DataWedge functionality so the end user can decide how to scan barcode (with Camera and Scandit or with TC51 barcode reader with DataWedge).

I have used Intent API and BroadcastReceiver to configure and receive barcodes from DataWedge

My problem is: when Scandit SDK is working (so I am using Camera to scan barcodes) I am not able to use DataWedge. Pressing hardware buttons do nothing.

To work with DataWedge I have to call Scandit SDK 's StopScanning() function: after that, pressing hardware buttons the TC51 barcode reader start to scan.

I don't understand why Scandit and DataWedge can't work together. It seems that if the Camera is used by Scandit, DataWedge is blocked, but for me this should not happen if I use DataWedge with integrated barcode reader...

Can you give me some suggestions?

Thanks

Alessandro

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi, it might seem unintuitive

Hi, it might seem unintuitive but you cannot use both DataWedge and the device camera simultaneously so your observation is correct.  There is a low level dependency between DataWedge and the camera since DW also offers camera scanning... this does not consider that the user might only using the hardware imager for scanning.

In order to achieve what you describe it is necessary to call StopScanning() on the Scandit SDK before using DataWedge for scanning.

Hope that helps explain the observation.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Alessandro Caliaro
thanks Darryn, Do you think

thanks Darryn, Do you think there will be the possibility (in the future) to have DataWedge working with imager scanner without the dependency to camera?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
I'm not sure... I have not

I'm not sure... I have not heard the request frequently in the past but if enough people ask for it the feature would be considered.  I am not sure about the technical implications but also remember that Scandit could be considered a competitor product so implementing a feature to aid with Scandit integration may go beyond a purely technical consideration... but bottom line I'm not sure

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Matt Dermody
Can you explain the usecase

Can you explain the usecase of needing camera based scanning through Scandit when there is a dedicated and integrated hardware scanner on the TC51? Are there features of Scandit not supported by the embedded scanner or DataWedge?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Alessandro Caliaro
Hi Matt. Scandit is a great

Hi Matt. Scandit is a great SDK that has more features than an integrated scanner. Take a look, for example, to AI feature here https://www.scandit.com/resources/videos/.

I think Zebra devices are great: for this reason it could be useful to have the possibility to use Scandit and also interact with the integrated scanner, depending  on the user's desire

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Matt Dermody
The AR usecases make a lot

The AR usecases make a lot more sense. I still think that for a traditional barcode scan the integrated scanner is going to do a better job but Scandit has definitley come a long way in that regard. The AR example however is something you could only really accomplish with the camera. Thanks!

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’