DataWedge Template Error

I’m trying to set up a Simulscan template in DataWedge (V 6.8.50) to scan three Code 39 bar codes at one time. I have created a template from an image, verified the template successfully, downloaded it to our Zebra MC3300 device template folder and I can access the template as a selection from the Default profile. However, when I select the template, I keep getting message – “Template Error: Invalid Template, Select a valid template”. According to Simulscan, if it verifies okay, it should work. I have tried several different ways to set up the template, they have all verified successfully but I still get the error message. The Default Barcode2.xml works fine but of course only captures two bar codes so I know the Datawedge/Simulscan app is working. I have tried the Simulscan Demo (V 3.0.2) but same issue. Any help on what I am doing wrong?

Attached is a sample label file I am using to create the template.

Thanks,

Craig

Anonymous (not verified)
Can you please share your

Can you please share your template xml?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Craig Hoadley
Hi Darryn,Please see the two

Hi Darryn,

Please see the two attached templates. Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,

Craig

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi Craig,I think you have not

Hi Craig,

I think you have not created the templates correctly, if I decode the contents using something like https://www.base64decode.org/ they do not contain any regions. Please try something like the attached which works for me in a very quick test I did - I generated it using the SimulScan template builder - if you run it through that base 64 decoder website you will see there is a region expecting 3 barcodes.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Lindsay Fahmi
Thanks Darryn!Hi CraigYes to

Thanks Darryn!

Hi Craig

Yes to echo Darryn, the templates you created was not set properly. It looks like it was set to capture an image.

We have created some online video tutorials  to help you with Barcode Workflows. For this use case I would recommend either:

Any Barcode- Fixed Quantity (3) or

Group of Common Barcodes (by symbology) - Fixed Quantity (3)

Both the tutorials above will walk you through the UI of Template Builder to create these solutions, but it is relatively simple once you play with the tool.

Steps:

1. log into Template Builder
  2. Select Unstructured Documents
  3. Upload Image
  4. Create one field
  5. Select "Barcode" under Processing Type
  6. Open up Field Settings
  7. Check off "Group of Barcode"
  8. Select Fixed Quantity
    1. for Any Barcode- you do not need to do anything else
    2. for Common Barcodes - Select "Code39" from Symbology

Hope this helps!

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Craig Hoadley
Hi Darryn,Thanks for the help

Hi Darryn,

Thanks for the help and the quick response. So, unfortunately, my problem is not solved. Lindsay had also responded with a nice guide on how to set up the template. I followed her steps, created the attached BC1200 template, verified it and the preview showed all three bar codes had been decoded properly. I also decoded it on the website you mentioned and it decoded just fine. So then I downloaded your template and my new one and got the same error when trying to select them in DataWedge (the invalid template file error). I even tried using the Simulscan demo (V 3.0.2) and could not select either of the templates.

This all leads me to believe that maybe upgrades have to be applied to my scanner gun or the version of DataWedge I have? Current version is 6.8.50.

I have attached the image I used, the new BC1200.xml file and the decoded BC1200 file. If there is any additional help you could provide it would be much appreciated!

Regards,

Craig

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Lindsay Fahmi
Hi CraigCan you please tell

Hi Craig

Can you please tell me what Device you are using and the Os Version of the device?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Craig Hoadley
Sure,Zebra Scanner Gun Model

Sure,

Zebra Scanner Gun Model MC330K

Android V 7.1.2

Scanner V 19.0.37.0

Device Upd Version – 7

DataWedge 6.8.50

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Lindsay Fahmi
hi Craiglet's try to rule out

hi Craig

let's try to rule out any issues-

Please see attached template- I have tested this template on my device

please copy this over to the SimulSCan/Templates Folder on your device and test it out using the SimulScan Demo App- Instructions can be found here--

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Craig Hoadley
Hi Lindsay,Followed your

Hi Lindsay,

Followed your instructions and was able to select your file from the Simulscan demo templates ...same error. However, I did see a message flash up "Showcase App error:(then the template path and file) - permission denied". Is it possible this is a security issue?

Regards,

Craig

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Craig Hoadley
Hi Lindsay,Problem solved!

Hi Lindsay,

Problem solved!

Previously I had set "allow installation of apps from unknown sources" to ON but I realized now that I had not rebooted the device after doing that. I just rebooted and now I'm able to pick up all my templates and the Simulscan and Datawedge demos are working properly!

Thanks so much for your help...it was instrumental in leading to the solution!

Kind regards,

Craig

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’