6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2018 8:20 AM by Javier Molina

TC51 + Simulscan + Velocity

John Conway

Hi all.

I'll apologise now for using the wrong terminology

We have an issue with the 2D imager on this device changing from the wide scan light with the center aim dot to just the dot after 2 minutes on inactivity.

I'm trying to set it up so Datawedge\Simulscan will scan data to Velocity and it works fine whilst i'm scanning but if i make a coffee and come back the imager has reverted to a single dot.

IMG_0758.JPGIMG_0757.JPG

We are capturing 4 specific barcodes in various locations on different size labels.

Label template has been validated in the template builder then uploaded to the device.

Restarting the device fixes the dot issue, also if i start Simulscan Demo (leaving Velocity running in the back ground), do a scan in there and go back to Velocity it then works.

Zebra TC510K

Android 7.1.2 Nougat

Lifeguard 11

Simulscan Version 3.0.2

Simulscan Engine 2.0.3

Datawedge 6.9.49

Velocity 2.0.3

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

John.

• Re: TC51 + Simulscan + Velocity
          Javier Molina

John,

There's a new Lifeguard update (12) for your device. I don't see the release notes mentioning much about scanning in this update but it's probably worth it to test on the most recent update, if only to confirm the problem is still there and needs to be addressed.

Please let us know how it goes and we'll take it from there.

Javier Molina

Technical Architect, Kutir Mobility

Posted on behalf of Zebra Technologies

John Conway

Hello Javier.

Thank you for replying, it is most appreciated.

The TC51 originally came with OS Marshmallow and LG 7 when we first started testing and noticed the imager issue.

On our Zebra distributors advice we upgraded to Nougat and  LG 12, the OS update went fine and the LG update looked as though it went fine but the device got stuck on the boot screen and wouldn't go any further.

We had to downgrade to Marshmallow "edit" then upgrade to Nougat "edit"  then put LG 11 on to get it to work again.

We have done further testing and the issue still happens whether we are scanning using Velocity or Notes, it doesn't happen if we scan into the Simulscan demo app.

It seems to be linked to the Sleep function of the device, device was set to 2 mins and the imager would stop after that time,  sleep mode currently set to maximum of 30 mins, Imager now reverts to a dot after 30 mins.

Thank you,

John.

Javier Molina

Thanks for the additional detail, I think that makes the situation a bit more clear. It definitely seems to be an inconsistency between the imager and the sleep timer. I suspect (but that's only a personal opinion) that any changes to this behavior would result in the scanner stopping completely when the device goes to sleep, rather than the scanning light continuing to be on after the sleep timer kicks in, but I'll try to get a more definitive answer for you.

When the scanner illumination stops and only the aiming dot remains, does the screen also go to sleep, or is it independent in your case?

Javier Molina

Technical Architect, Kutir Mobility

Posted on behalf of Zebra Technologies

John Conway

Javier.

I don't have the device in front of me to test but i believe they happen at the same time, the screen goes to sleep after 30mins, when i wake the device the imager reverts to a dot.

I also believe this only happens if i leave the app running (either Velocity or notes). If i close the app and wait till it goes to sleep, wake the device then open the app and try all is working as it should

I will test again in the morning to make sure.

Thanks,

John.

John Conway

Javier

I did a little more testing at the end of last week and i can confirm when the device sleeps it turns off the imager and just leaves the aiming dot.

Tried changing the sleep timer from minimum setting of 15 seconds to maximum 30 mins and the result is the same.

This morning i've upgraded to LG 13, this has made the issue worse, now when attempting to scan after waking it from sleep i have no imager or dot and get an on screen error saying "Showcase app error: Unable to open engine-restart application" . The only way to get around this is to restart the device.

I am going to go back to LG11 later today.

Thanks,

John.