3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2019 8:29 AM by Darryn Campbell

Enterprise Home Screen - Start URL in specific browser

Jeff Rennie

I have a TC8000 and want to use Enterprise Home Screen (EHS) to manage/limit what my users can do with the scanner.

I have two distinct web sites I need to visit and due to differences in my datawedge settings, I need them to launch in two distinct browsers (default browser and chrome). I have the following two lines in the EHS config XML file....

<link label="APP#1" url="http://InternalURL" package="com.android.chrome" activity="" icon="CustomIcon#1"/>

<link label="APP#2" url="https://ExternalURL" package="com.android.browser" activity="" icon="CustomIcon#2"/>

Problem is, both of these launch in the default browser. How do I ensure that the URLs will launch in the desired browser?

• Re: Enterprise Home Screen - Start URL in specific browser
          Darryn Campbell

That's an interesting workaround, as you already know DataWedge cannot distinguish between different browser tabs.  The best alternative would be to use Enterprise Browser but you might also try loading and using an alternative browser.

What differences in DataWedge settings are required? 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Jeff Rennie

AFAIK Enterprise browser requires a license.  My department isn't well funded.

What differences in DataWedge settings are required?

Just need to tab for one web app, and hit CR for another.  Kind of a pain, but it is what it is.

Also, just to close off the question, the fix is in....

Just need to add the proper action for each browser in the EHS XML config file.

Chrome: com.google.android.apps.chrome.Main

Android Browser: com.android.browser.BrowserActivity

Put those inside the Activity quotes on the appropriate line and all is golden.

Darryn Campbell

Thanks for including the answer, glad it is working now and yes, Enterprise Browser does require a license.

One word of caution, if you upgrade to a new OS or a new device there is no guarantee that com.android.browser would still be on the device (LifeGuard updates would NOT be affected) - that probably doesn't affect your TC8000 deployment but something to bear in mind if you move to new hardware