iOS - SDK - no printer found

Hi I'm new to this whole printing thing.  I have looked through the sdk am stuck with connecting to the printer.

Used the connecting bluetooth sample functions from the iOS documentation, which I translated into swift, but no printer was found.  Tried this with device already connected to iOS and not connected to iOS.

var serialNumber = ""

let sam = EAAccessoryManager.shared()

let connectedAccessories = sam.connectedAccessories as Array<EAAccessory>

for accessory in connectedAccessories {

if accessory.protocolStrings.contains("com.zebra.rawport") {

serialNumber = accessory.serialNumber

break

}

}

let thePrinterConn : ZebraPrinterConnection = MfiBtPrinterConnection(serialNumber: serialNumber)

var success = thePrinterConn.open()

print(success)

Any ideas? What am I missing?

Ernst Suedmeyer
Got it ... so now we can find

Got it ... so now we can find the printer, have installed print direct on the printer ... anybody know how we tell print direct to print a pdf file and where to get it?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
What do you mean by saying

What do you mean by saying "installed Print Direct on the printer"? Is "Print Direct" an application provided by Zebra for Zebtra printers? Zebra has "PDF Direct". I don't think Zebra has "Print Direct".

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Ernst Suedmeyer
Hi Steven,yes Zebra has an

Hi Steven,

yes Zebra has an Application called "PDF Direct" which you have to buy.  This application runs as a virtual device on the printer. Just follow their marketing on:  PDF Direct – Virtual Device | Zebra

The problem is that there is virtually no real documentation, just marketing speak.  We have got it to work (from iOS) so that it is printing Zebra's very own sample pdf but only the first 20% of the document.  Then it stops and goes to the end of the 4x6 label :-(

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
When using the PDF Direct on

When using the PDF Direct on the printer, we need to make sure that the media settings of the label size on the printer can accommodate the size of the PDF. If the PDF size is unknown or variable, then we set the media type to "journal" instead of "label". Hope this helps.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Ernst Suedmeyer
Hi Steven,thanks that was it

Hi Steven,

thanks that was it actually! We are now printing the whole demo file.  So now the next step is to repeat that via iOS ;-)

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’