1 of 1 people found this helpful
It sounds like an issue I had where it tested fine on my computer but once I moved it to a User account, it wouldn't work. What I did to resolve it was I logged in as a administrator and then opened the Printer Properties for the problem printer, then went to the Security tab and then set the Everyone group to have full permissions over the printer. It worked fine after that. You should be able to specificy a user if you want. I hope it helps fix your issue!
wow, you're a lifesaver!
our it service, whose employees are the only ones with admin rights, couldn't solve it and attributed it to a software bug.
But it would have been their job to give the group the right permissions.
thank you very much!