4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2014 10:20 AM by Myk Lougee

What is the possibility to avoid Low Memory issue in SB1

Ratish Nair

Team,

Can you please help me with a solution to avoid low memory issue in SB1.

I have developed an application using HTML,JAVASCRIPT AND JQUERY and the file resides locally in the device.

The alert comes after some time, when the application is opened and not when the application is started.

I have a timer which checks certain informations in the DB, using web service in every 5 sec.

Your valuable suggestion will be highly appreciated.

• Re: What is the possibility to avoid Low Memory issue in SB1
          Myk Lougee

I'm in the same boat with you.  We get about two hours of use before the low memory kicks in.  Our application will store data when there is no network connectivity, during this time of no network we continuously look for a network connection.  The application will run fine during network connectivity, it just when there is none when the issues starts to show.

Any Motorola engineers watch these groups?

Daniel Silva

Hi Myk,

Can you share the code that you are using to continuously look for a connection?  If we can recreate the problem, maybe we can figure out a way around it.

Jon Tara

If you connect to a web service every 5 seconds, I'm surprised the battery doesn't give out before memory!

If you have a need for near-instantaneous updates to the device, there are much more appropriate ways of doing that. First of, it's what notifications are for (if supported by device platform). The notifications tell the app "something is new", then you go get it from the server.

If updates might be too frequent such that notifications are inappropriate, then using WebSockets or something similar would be a better choice.

As far as your memory problem, you haven't given us much to work with other than a vague complaint. It's like going to the doctor and saying "I hurt".

It sound like you have a memory leak. You have some variables that keep growing, etc. I'd strongly suspect that once-every-5-seconds task...

Myk Lougee

Im not the dev so Im not sure of the exact calling code but he said he was using java to check for network connection.  It is every 30 seconds he tries to send (via Java) i assume the stored payload.

If it fails he is still offline.

Dan Silva should be working with my dev to find a solution.   I post what we do. it may be nothing.

I think the memory issue is additive to a max time of about 120 minutes.  So as long as the device is not offline between charges for this time frame we may not see the low memory.