Access to Google Play on TC55

What are the plans (if any) to gain access to the Google Play app on the TC 55?

Here's where I'm going with this:

To quote the sales message -- "A wide variety of applications ready for Android are available to help businesses in many vertical markets improve mobile workforce efficiency.", clearly the business apps Google offers via Google Play are targeted head on for vertical markets.

As a developer, trying to build a solution for this device and not having access to core business apps that would be needed alongside a custom solution -- is a non-starter.

To pick but one -- Google Drive -- that one app, in terms of productivity value is a must have.

Perusing Google's list supported apps for Google Play, I see the TC55 is clearly there. However, there is no sign of the app on the device out of the box.

Alternatives such as Amazon's store and side loading are not viable options.

Some guesses:

(a) Motorola has pulled the Google Store app from the device (even though Google says it has their blessing)

(b) Its pulled, but only available on request from Motorola

(c) Its buried somewhere on the device, it just needs to be installed & activated somehow

(d) Some dumb thing on my part (need a new build or something)...

If anyone has some insight on this it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Ron

Peter Arcuri
There are plans for releasing

There are plans for releasing Google Mobile Services (GMS) which includes Google Play on the TC55. This will be made available through software in the near future. Stayed tuned.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Steve Baer
Peter,This would be great -

Peter,

This would be great - is there a timeline for this, if not where is the best place to get this information when it is time? 

We have an existing client who wishes to buy our mobile friendly web application but wants a rugged device and a quality bar code scanning experience, something that a regular android phone with a bar code scanning application cannot offer them.  We thought the TC55 would be a slam dunk but it didn't ship with Google Chrome and also has no access to the Google Play store so we have been unable to leverage the device on mass for our customer base.

Steve 

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Peter Arcuri
Steve, there are GMS enabled

Steve, there are GMS enabled OS builds floating around for internal testing so I would think the official release is in the very short-term. Probably adding the final touch. I would suggest periodically check out the Motorola support site under the TC55 product.

https://portal.motorolasolutions.com/Support/US-EN

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Steve Baer
PeterWhile the OS image is

Peter

While the OS image is now released, I have struggled to find people in the support department either via telephone or email who can give me access to the restricted OS image download so that I can deploy it to my device.  I'm not sure why this has been so difficult but it shouldn't be.

Steve

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Peter Arcuri
Steve,The software is

Steve,

The software is available to customers who have a either a hardware or software maintain contract for the device(s). See excerpt from the software download page:

This software image (“Software”) is intended only for the use of authorized, licensed customers of Motorola Solutions Inc.

I would suggest contacting Motorola help desk at ems.support@motorolasolutions.com and explain your situation. They will provide the best course of action.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Steve Baer
We are actually a Motorola

We are actually a Motorola Partner.  I'm not sure why there is a barrier to download at all.  Nonetheless I have contacted support again as per your instructions. 

Thank you - I hope for a better turn of events this time.

Steve

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Steve Baer
Peter,Thank you for

Peter,

Thank you for encouraging me to revisit contacting support.  I sent a message yesterday afternoon and when I came into the office this morning I received several emails.  I have been granted the access necessary to download the file and have just re-imaged the device.  Our Webapp really flies in Google Chrome on this device.

Have a great weekend.

Steve

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Peter Arcuri
Great Steve! I like happy

Great Steve! I like happy endings… Now on to the next challenge.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’