Useful Links :
SimulScan overview ppt : https://developer.motorolasolutions.com/resources/statics/9992/SS_Slides_NDA.ppt
Video demonstrating Device UI : https://launchpad.motorolasolutions.com/DPX/DPX%20Animation.mp4
Alpha extranet : Contains Device OS, DW and Rho drops, Canned Forms : https://compass.motorolasolutions.com/llservlet/livelink/go/ssalpha
Template Builder : Helps build templates : https://simulscan-uat.motorolasolutions.com/
Launchpad : SimulScan community to post queries : https://developer.motorolasolutions.com/community/technologies/dpx--beta-eap
This blog assumes the reader is familiar with SimulScan having read either the SimulScan Overview presentation on Launchpad or the Product Spec sheet. This blog aims to get the reader started with SimulScan on their device.
Step 1 : Ready the device
SimulScan is currently supported on TC55 Rev B KitKat and TC75.
As SimulScan is built into the OS image in the above devices, download the latest OS from either the extranet or SupportCentral.
Step 2 : Showcase application SimulScanDemo
There is an easy to use Showcase application built into the OS to help you try out SimulScan and understand its various features. MSI created a couple of forms to help with the demo that are attached to this blog:
- Postal_TL.pdf : This form showcases the below capabilities of SimulScan :
- Signature presence detected in forms
- Automated data entry with character recognition [OCR]. Supported languages : English, Spanish, German, French and Portuguese
- Simplified workflow exceptions with checked mark recognition[OMR]. Check boxes, radio buttons and bubbles are supported.
- Real-time data processing on the device with no backend connectivity required
b. Manufacturing.pdf : This form showcases the below capabilities of SimulScan :
- MultiCode2.0 feature supports decoding of up to 6 multiple barcodes in one session
- All the enterprise grade barcode symbologies supported. Symbologies and parameters configurable via intuitive UI in the Template Builder.
Please print out the .pdfs attached to this blog and try them out with the Showcase app.
Step 3 : Create your own template
Once familiar with the features, the next step is to create a template associated with your custom form pertaining to your customer or partner.
Log in using your partner credentials to https://simulscan-uat.motorolasolutions.com to upload an image of your form and create your own template. Please leverage the help doc in the Template Builder by pressing F1 on it.
Once created, the templates need to be downloaded to your local machine in order to (mass) deploy it on your device(s).
Option 1 :
- For use by Datawedge, push the templates to "/enterprise/device/settings/datawedge/templates" folder on the device using either ‘adb push’ or ‘USB sync’ or your preferred staging/MDM tool.
- For Rho, the folder is configurable via the "templateDirectory" property.
- For the showcase app to find it using My Template -> From External Storage, push the templates to the folder at "Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory()/simulscan/templates".
Option 2 for showcase app :
- On the TB, you could copy the template over to the "coreid\Release". Launch the Showcase app -> My template -> Select from server. FYI, this would download the templates to the above folder as well.
- This "release" folder on the TB is also programmatically accessible via Rho's FetchTemplates() API.
Step 4 : Try out your own template
You can validate if your template works using the Showcase app -> My Template or Showcase app -> Menu -> Setup Custom Demo options and point to your template.
As the Showcase app shows the results of the template, it can be leveraged to validate your template without writing a single line of code.
Step 5 : Incorporate SimulScan within your application
SimulScan can be leveraged from within your application via the DataWedge API’s [v 2.0.6 or higher] or Rho API’s [v 4.2.0.beta.14 or higher]. Please refer the documentation from DW or Rho on Launchpad for further details.
Rho API guide: http://docs.rhomobile.com/en/4.1.0/guide/apisummary
The template validated from Step 4 can be pointed to using DW or Rho and incorporated within your app. The complete operation of bringing up the camera, guiding the end-user through the capture and processing the data is abstracted within the SimulScan software. The UI is the exact same UI as seen in the Showcase App. All the user app needs to do is set the right template using DW or Rho. Once captured and processed, the results are returned to the user-app correspondingly for the next level of processing – ex: form filling, inventory management etc.
All the processing is additionally performed locally on the device without requiring any online connectivity. It is up to the end-user app on how to handle the returned results as a name-value pair of the various data parsed.
Step 6: Installing your license
If you are using features that require a license, please follow these steps:
- Request a trial license from Product Manager (Andrew.Knight@zebra.com)
- Copy the License.xml file received from the licensing server to a location on the sdcard
- Upgrade the TC55 or TC75 software to the latest [2.46 and above for TC55, 0901 and above for TC75]
- Launch the Settings app -> About Phone –> Legal Information -> Symbol Licenses -> Install a license ? -> Yes -> point to the file on the sdcard
This will install the license . For mass deployment, end customers would need to use StageNow.
Step 7 : Questions / Clarifications ?
Please post on the SimulScan Launchpad page so the team can assist you at the earliest.