By Sabir Valappil Thattath
The ITSmobile system from SAP plays various sound files to notify a user whether a server transaction was a failure or success. This is implemented by presenting the
This creates a problem for SAP users when running existing SAP applications on standard HTML5 browsers. A recent customer interaction involved the need to run an application on a Windows Mobile/CE device with the webkit engine. As expected, the
Below is the script that will be injected and executed once the DOM is ready on the webview:
//get list of bg sound tag, ideally any page will hold one sound file only :-)
var bgs = document.getElementsByTagName('bgsound');
for (var bgElementIndex=0; bgElementIndex
//get the url of the sound file
var bgSrc = bgs[bgElementIndex].getAttribute("src");
//create a audio HTML element supported by webview
var audioTag = document.createElement("AUDIO");
audioTag.setAttribute("src",bgSrc);//set sound file url
audioTag.setAttribute("autoplay","true");//set autoplay to true
document.body.appendChild(audioTag);//insert to document body
The above tag ensures that the script will executed on all pages of the application.
In addition, the CustomDOMElements file name also must be referenced in the app's config.xml as shown below:
The attached file ("bgsound.rar") contains a sample application that tests the solution described here.
Here's how to use it:
1. Extact the rar file and host the test app "test.html" on a server.
2. Place the "decode.wav" and "playBgSound.js" files in the same location as test.html.
3. Open the mytags.txt file and update the 'src' field so that the path to "playBgSound.js" is correct with respect to your server IP.
4. Open the Config.xml and update the 'startpage' attribute so that the path to test.html is correct with respect to your server IP.
5. Copy the mytags.txt and Config.xml files to the /com.symbol.enterprisebrowser folder in your android device.
Your Enterprise Browser is ready to play the sound.
Before that, let's examine the contents of test.html:
HTML bgsound Tag Support on EB Android
This doesn't create any result on the screen but it plays sound file in the background.
This is a plain HTML page that has a
Launch EB to play the sound!!
Underneath, our script replaces the
Sabir Valippil Thattath is a senior software engineer with Zebra Technologies.