Disable .NET CF Security on WinCE6

// Expert user has replied.
A Arsen Bandurian 3 years 5 months ago
1 3 0

Hi, I'm playing with MC3190 WinCE6. I have a simple .NET CF 3.5 application (just displays form). It runs OK. Whenever I change certain system files (via .CPY) - it refuses to run. It looks as if the system detects that it's been tampered and some code execution control kicks in and the app is denied to run. Non .NET apps work just fine, though. I am confused, and one of our customers (who's using .NET and needs this tweak) is really pissed. Could anyone help me? Someone from OS Development team?

Please Register or Login to post a reply

3 Replies

A Arsen Bandurian

Our release of CE6 does not support Russian locale (which is needed for the app and SQL client) - it is not included in our build of wince.nls file. So, I replace it with the one that has it in (tried from WM5-WM6.5 and CE6 custom build with Russian support). The locale appears in the list of locales, but .NET apps fail to start! Grrr..

S Sven Scheller

Hi Arsen, As far as I know Windows CE 6.0 provides the following security features:
The object store security feature provides several elements of security in a trusted environment.

First, system files are protected so that they cannot be read or modified by "normal" applications. System files are meant files that have the "system attribute" set.

Additionally, the system protects a set of registry keys so that they cannot be modified by normal applications.

Additionally, databases that are stored within the object store can be given a system flag. System databases cannot be read or modified by normal applications. Databases that are stored in separate database volumes rather than in the object store can be protected by setting the system attribute on the file, just as for any other file in the file system.

Greetings,

Sven

E Efkan YILMAZ

What  system file(s) are being changed by the CPY operation and what "tweak" are they providing?  Would there be an alternate way of providing the tweak?

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?