MC75A GPS without carrier service?

// Expert user has replied.
E Efkan YILMAZ 3 years 5 months ago
1 2 0

Does anyone know if the MC75A GPS could still be used without any cellular service provider?  I'm guessing it technically could, but probably with a substantial loss in accuracy?

Please Register or Login to post a reply

2 Replies

M Marcus Kurath

I think this is more common than you think. When runnung a breadcrumb application, it is common for the MC75 to loose telephone connectivity and forward the data when the connection to the cell network is re-established. Your challenge would be to have a suitable data store for the inmformation you collect --- possibly an upload when the device is in a WI-FI coverage area... The assisted GPS is dependent on cell communication, but the native  GPS works independently

D Don Khan

Mike,          Absolutely, the GPS functions autonomously, that is to say, no assistance from an external source required.  You can however, utilize an external service to pre-load almanac information which simply enables the device to render a quicker initial lock on the satellites ("time to fix" ) or during "fade out" periods.  This is an IP based serivce (in our case SUPL) which can be accessed via the carrier IP network, or via WiFi, to the public internet. I hope this helps.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?