Enable MSP Agent after deployment

// Expert user has replied.
E Erick Rondin 3 years 5 months ago
2 3 0

Hi, I have a customer who did not enable the MSP Agent before deployment. Know he has to push a new configuration and would like to use provisionning for that. An application installed on the MC17 can communicate to receive some reg files, so I am looking for a way to enable the MSP Agent using a reg file or another way without using the staging. Regards

Please Register or Login to post a reply

3 Replies

J Juan-Antonio Martinez

Try this: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AIRBEAM] "ENABLE30"="1" or "0" I am not sure if this was a 1 or a 0. Then reboot, of course! Also, you could also copy a shortcut of enable30.exe on \windows\startup, or a .run file (containing this) on \Application\Startup. Then, always reboot.

L Larry Dykes

Hi Eric,

The only supported, "right" way to do this would be to run Rapid Deployment on each terminal and process the Enable30 package. But it sounds like your customer wants to avoid this. So, just remember that if you use a non-supported method you may have to create a non-supported fix if it doesn't go well. Get the Legacy version of Enable30 and use the package builder to extract the files. You should be able to see what it does.

If you are thinking of putting .reg file in in \Application and rebooting, that won't do it.There will be some entries in this file that set the same registry keys as airbeam.reg. - and having this situation makes it impossible to say which ones will be in effect after a boot with regmerge, because you can't control which one gets processed last. If you could deliver it an APPEND it, that might work.

Can you deliver it and MERGE it, then start the Agent? If you could do that, it should work and not require a reboot. But test it first. 

If you DO deliver the .reg file, the very first thing you want to do after the device checks in is send a package that DELETES this .reg file - it is very dangerous to "leave lying around". And I would send an Agent setting right after that.   One other method may be available - IF and ONLY IF all the devices can use the SAME Relay Server address. If this is true, you could upgrade one device by staging Enable30 onto it, be sure it's checking in, then take the airbeam.reg from its \Application folder and send that to other devices, then start the agent. Again, please be aware that there is a risk that if anything goes wrong, each device may have to be cleaned up and abup30 may have to be restaged. So proceed very carefully and test like crazy.

J Juan-Antonio Martinez

If this "trojan" application can both send/receive files, what about -to prevent conflicts-: 1) downloading \Application\airbeam.reg 2) editing, so ENABLE30 = 1. Then saving, obviously. 3) uploading it 4) rebooting On the other hand, I do not see why your customer would agree on rebooting (human being pushing a button) and would not on staging so agent is enabled, as Larry suggested (in this case, the same human being, entering RD and reading a barcode). Just because it is easier?

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?