Characters Visible In When Entering Password

// Expert user has replied.
G Glenn Sobel 3 years 5 months ago
2 7 0

1) Time/Date 01/28/2011 10:30am

2) Response time

3) Product MC55 / MC9090

4) OS Version wm6.5

5) Clarify Case # 2305523 Customer opened case stating when upgrading device from wm61 to 6.5 Issue did not occur when the device was wm6.1, only after upgrading to wm6.5. the password letters are briefly visible before changing to an asterisk in AppCenter 1025. I have been able to duplicate the characters being briefly visible in appcenter I have been able to duplicate the characters being briefly visible in Airbeam as well. I duplicated the issue the functionality does not exists wm6.1 but does wm6.5 Although in wm 6.5, the password letters are not briefly visible if going through the lock feature on the device. Questions I have Is this a feature specific to these applications? Is this a feature of Windows Mobile 6.5? Is there a way to turn off the feature so only an asterisk will display?

Please Register or Login to post a reply

7 Replies

D David Meyer

Sorry.  I guess my answer should be very general.  There are no methods/registry keys available to change any settings related to the masking of password entry.

G Glenn Sobel

An additional question has been requested regarding this topic. It is understood there is no way to turn off this feature of characters displaying briefly as a password is entered. Now the question is , is there a registry key that can limit the amount of time the character is visible?

D David Meyer

Microsoft changed the design.  They do not seem to offer any mechanism to disable this.  As I mentioned before, if customers are doing this in their own applications, they could write code to make a regular edit box look like a password box. Dave

G Glenn Sobel

It is understood can not disable... was checking if you can configure the time it displays in ms...

D David Meyer

Just to clarify, if an application uses the standard edit box with the password setting, it will do this.  It may be possible to add extra code around the edit box handling to prevent that, but it would require the application developer to do this.

G Glenn Sobel

Thank you.

D David Meyer

Microsoft changed the behavior by design.  In WM 6.5 AKU 5.0.60, the release notes say: "Fixed an issue in the Shell Common Controls for Windows Mobile Professional where characters entered into password-enabled Win32 Edit Controls were not being shown to the user for a short time before being masked." This sounds like they intended to have it this way in the past, but it was a bug that it did not work like this.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?